Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,813   Posts: 1,581,586   Online: 898

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

Questions About Durst M601 Enlarger

I lost DR space and need to downsize from a 6x7 enlarger to a Durst 600 or 601. I'm exploring buying a like new M601 used primarily for 645 negs.

Anybody have the M601 baseboard and column height dimensions?

The M600 and M601 differences I see from pictures are head cosmetics, the column, and provisions for a red under-the-lens filter.

Any other improvements between the M600 and M601? Any user experiences?
    Last edited by Richard Jepsen; 12-17-2012 at 04:47 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    RJ

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Baseboard (M601): 19.5" wide x 21.5" deep. Column: 33". Dandy enlarger, I really appreciate mine because of the compact size.

Additional info: http://www.jollinger.com/photo/enlargers/durst.html
    -Fred

Shooter
    35mm

Questions About Durst M601 Enlarger

Column of M601 is 83.5cm from baseboard surface to top. Base is 50cm wide by 55cm deep. Base is on rubber feet and stands approx 6cm off work surface. I think it is more recent than the M600. I saw a big list of Durst products and manufacture dates somewhere on the net. It may have been here, or another photo forum. I've had my 601 for years. It works well, and is solidly built. I have thought about an M605, but the M601 does everything I need. I use it for 6x6 B&W negs with the Ilford filter holder attached. Alex

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Thanks Fred and Alex for the dimensions. The column height is perfect for a compact enlarger projecting on 8x10 in paper.

The enlarger comes with a 50mm lens. What parts are potentially missing to enlarge MF?

It comes with the SIXNEG negative carrier. Don't you need opposing (2) condensers in addition to a SIXPLA lens panel?

I have a M600 manual which reads the SIXPLA can be used for MF to 35mm. So maybe Durst shipped all 601s with a SIXPLA. The lens panel thread can be compared to the shipped lens thread.
    Last edited by Richard Jepsen; 12-17-2012 at 05:08 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    RJ

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Richard,

I have the M601 with a Sevoneg adjustable glass neg carrier (35mm to 6x6 and all between). According to the info on Ollinger's site, the 600 is the older model and has a focusing device similar to the M301 (the red-green doohickey). For a lens plate I have a Lapla for 6x6 and a recessed lens mount for the 50mm lens, a Setopla 2839. I also believe the 600 has a different condenser setup (3, I think) where the 601 only requires two condenser lenses for 35/6x6. The third condenser lens on the 600 is for 35mm use. I'm guessing but I believe the 600 resembles the m300/301 with the focusing aid and lens panel arrangement.

If I recall, my M301 came with a 25mm lens panel but I could be mistaken. What lens is coming with the enlarger? The older componons were 25mm thread.
    -Fred

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Fred, the lens is a 50mm Companon f/3.5. I've asked the seller to check the lens box to determine the thread. A picture of the packing Styrofoam shows a slot below the enlarging head. It looks like an object similar to a condenser or filter tray fits in the packing slot. I'm thinking the unit had to ship with both condensers.

Reading the manual I see the M601 lens standard adjusts for verticals while the M600 does not.

Do you ever get Newton ring issues?
    Last edited by Richard Jepsen; 12-17-2012 at 08:02 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    RJ

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    RJ,

No Newton rings so far. I have a chrome and a black Componon and I believe they are both f4.0 and 25mm thread. Excellent lens for its time (uncoated or single coated IIRC).
    -Fred

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I had a Durst 600 as my first enlarger. Worked fine. I recall that it had individual masks to exclude unwanted portions of the negative. The column seemed strong enough.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've always preferred to use a glassless top mask and a glass below in my Dursts (inc an M601) that eliminates the chance of newton rings,

If height is an issue mount the column direct to the back of the bench, I used to use a slotted frame below that allowed me to drop part of the table below the enlarger. (In fact I had a 5x4 enlarger mounted alongside).

Ian

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Most of my 645 MF enlargements are full frame on 8x10. Occasionally I print 9x12 inches for a wall mount.

When not using a speed easel I use one of two four blade easels. With a 33 inch/85cm column I expect the base of the column will obstruct the smaller Saunders 11x17 easel when printing 9x12 in a portrait orientation.

Ian's classic solution is not possible in the space I have. The ability to mask the negative in the carrier could allow the projection of clean negative borders onto a 11x14 speed easel.

Anyone use a speed easel as described with the M601?

What is the most convenient 4 blade easel to use for my size enlargements with a M601?

Does a M601 heat up with a 75W bulb?

My Saunders 670 XL head runs cool unlike an Omega B-22 which will pop negs.
    Last edited by Richard Jepsen; 12-18-2012 at 07:54 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    RJ

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin