Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,540   Posts: 1,572,766   Online: 879

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Gralab timer bogging down

Hi Everyone,

I've got a couple of Gralab timers in my darkroom, the typical big black dial model which I believe is a 300. They were given to me and probably date back to the 1970s or early 80's.

One of them has developed a problem where it will work a few times and then start bogging down. For example, I might be able to process one roll of film without any problems and then at the end of the next 8-minute film development it will hit the last 20 seconds or so and slow to a crawl. After that happens the timer runs super slow and I can't use it anymore. Next time I come into the darkroom it will work fine until it bogs down again. When it is working it is still perfectly accurate.

Has anyone had this problem? Any suggestions for things to look for if I open it up?

Regards,
    Anthony

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    I had one like that. I recommend throwing it away.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sadly, those Gralab timers are a dime a dozen these days. You're probably better of just getting another one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    throw it out before it happens in the middle of a processing run like mine (two of them) did.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by sr44 View Post
    Sadly, those Gralab timers are a dime a dozen these days. You're probably better of just getting another one.
    Ya, I just bought one for $15 CDN. Didn't really need it, but for $15 it's a good back up.
    Way less that I paid for my original one - way back when!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Same thing happened to me,get a digital one for exposures and a stopwatch for developing.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the replies, it sounds like I'll probably stick to my wristwatch for now and see about a replacement timer.

I like those Gralabs for the simplicity of the single big dial. I'm not interested in a digital timer as it implies a level of precision that I certainly do not have in my work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Perhaps those posting can send you a new one. From my experience, a late model 300 that is going to be in better condition than what you currently have might cost over $50.
    To fix the one you have I'd measure the amperage draw when working and when 'bogged down' If the amperage goes up then take it apart and look for a source of binding. If the amperage goes down when running slow, look for a poor electrical connection or bad wiring.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I just bought one for under $30 and saw a brand new one go for for $50 on Ebay.

I haven't found a digital timer I like, they're all too complicated

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Though I have never taken one apart, they seem to be pretty straightforward. At least take a peek inside.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin