Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,207   Posts: 1,531,908   Online: 1150

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Need enlargers! Ilford 500 or 600, AND lpl 4550 XLG

Hello everyone!

I have been looking for months for the two enlargers mentioned above, so far, I had no luck picking them at the flea market price, which means under 500 USD

I envy so much the guys who walked on the streets and just saw them on estate sales, so far it seems to me that's how everyone got them!

But I got only offers from SDS and ebay sellers who wants my skin for them, I'm talking about 1500 USD with no carrier, no lens board, probably no controller. SDS wants 2100 GBP for ilford 600 + de vere 504. I got really very, very tired.

Please anyone wants to help? I searched on ebay night and day looking for deals, while there are only bad deals.

After the world ends in 2012, I will begin a new life as an active artist who prints and also teaches how to print. With the new year approaching my need for those two enlargers has become literally an emergency!

Thanks everyone!

Jing
    Last edited by slight; 12-20-2012 at 02:52 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not so many of them were made, so no fire sale or street dump. A good one is worth $500 you need to budget. Or get something else.
    A photo amateur
    Sinar P2/F2/Nikon F100/Bronica ETRSi/GS/Saunders 4550XLG/Jobo CPP2/CPE+/Colorline 7000

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes of course I have the budget of 500-700 USD for each one in good condition. But I don't have 3000 USD for each one as the internet pro sellers asked!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    They asking $300 for a power supply....
    A photo amateur
    Sinar P2/F2/Nikon F100/Bronica ETRSi/GS/Saunders 4550XLG/Jobo CPP2/CPE+/Colorline 7000

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think the lack of response here says it all....

I feel for you sir, this is a bigger problem for emerging serious printers than a lot on these forums realize.

I think the window of opportunity for picking up truly pro level multigrade printing equipment was from about 2006-2009, it seems as though the equipment has disappeared and the prices of what the eBay scum have are through the roof.

I gave up on the Ilford H series and and am now looking for what people tell me is in abundance and dirt cheap, Beseler color heads like the 45S or even the 45 computer controlled. I have been looking for a bit, searched Craigslist, put up ads here and Large Format Forum and come up totally empty handed thus far.....I still hold hope.

I think that unless someone gets into putting together really great turn key pro level multi-grade enlarger kits in the near future, the current crop of what is left out there is going to dry up pretty fast and companies like Ilford will wonder what in the hell happened to that great upswing if not steady record of film and paper sales.

As a person who wants to spend the rest of his life making a living off of creating exceptional fine art prints, I view this as a really big problem for the long term.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This is not totally true.

One of the main problem with photo equipment is the cost of shipping. Most people are not willing to pay $250 to get an enlarger shipped across the coast. So it is all local supply-demand.

Also, because people see analog photo is dying and there were some very fantastic past deals, they are very optimistic about picking some pro photo equipment on the cheap side. Some of the them are clearly not realistic.

I have a couple of Saunder LPL 4550 XLG complete with color heads. I posted here and tried to get $450 for it. There was only one response and he still has yet to contact me again. I'm not eager to post again and sell it cheap. I'm going to post it again when I get a chance, but I'm not going to sell it for lower than $500. In a couple of year, they may worth more than $700. They are in great shape.

If you do not want to spend that much money, get an old Beseler. Or even some old Omega. But they are not the same quality.
    A photo amateur

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Agree with RedSun re:buyers expecting bargain basement pricing. Just because trad printing is not what it used to be doesn't mean people will sell their gear for a song and dance. If I ever sell my Devere enlargers, you can be sure it'll be for a fair price for a hard to find used enlarger.

Flip side are the people who expect to get several hundred or so for a basic enlarger and a few trays.

Good luck in your search

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    PKM, you do know that you can still buy a brand new shiny Omega (formerly LPL/Saunders) 4550 XLG VCCE, right?

Kienzle still makes enlargers in Germany as well.

In other words, why the doom and gloom? Are you frustrated because you can't find a cheap one? That would be understandable.

I think the problem is many people hear the stories of how so and so bought an entire darkroom for peanuts and they expect they will find the same deal. From my viewpoint the fact that enlargers are selling for more money than they used to is a POSITIVE sign for the future of analog photography. The internet makes it so that there are few deals left. Anyone with a computer can google an enlarger and see that a 4550xlg for example sells new for over $3000. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to figure out you can get more than $50 for a used one if you have it. The dime a dozen run of the mill enlargers are all over craigslist. Those are easy to find.

A propos to cheap availability- I have a second entire head unit I bought just for the VCCE module since my enlarger had a color head. It is basically brand new in the box, all it needs is a column. It has the head, 4x5 diffuser, 4x5 neg carrier, power supply, lens board, dichroic color module.. Anyone interested? $200. I'll part it out soon if no on wants it as a package.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The LPL 4500 VCCE's are great setups and do seem to be turn key right out of the gate, if I knew what I know now when I started, I would have gone that route right off. But for people like us who started out with either a 45MX or Omega D2, it seems to be nearly impossible to find a good used Ilford H head or other above neg stage, multi-contrast solution.

Some of you may say sell the 45 and buy an LPL VCCE, easier said than done when you have spent years gathering lens boards, filed out glass carriers with AN glass, etc.

I am not down on it, but the aggregation of complete systems seems to be one of those get hip deep in APUG soup before you get a solid direction. And I am willing to go pickup gear at this point by the way....

But the guy above looking for a 500 or 600H head, he seems pretty much screwed.
    Last edited by PKM-25; 12-22-2012 at 03:07 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I do not really know the reason that people prefer VCCE than the color head. If you have Omega gears, D5 would be still a good pick-up. They are more accessible than the Saunders, Durst, etc.
    A photo amateur

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin