Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,533   Posts: 1,544,006   Online: 1028

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can get roll paper in pretty wide widths. At least 36". You then end up with a whole bunch of new issues. Like how to focus. I've got enough problems with the new baseboard I made. No way I want to deal with wall projection-)

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena
    Anybody ever consider using these instead of large trays? Price of a set can be cheaper then one large darkroom tray. They even come with lids.

I need a large deep tray for lith printing plus I wouldn't mind a set of 16x20 trays. But even cheap 16x20 trays aren't cheap so I thinking of these things.
    I recently bought a cheap solution for large trays at The Container Store (large chain store). Look for drawer liners.. they come in a variety of sizes. I bought the 14 x 19 " size for about $6 a piece. I like these because they have really low sides, about 4", unlike the underbed storage bins-- they are more like a tray and less like a bin. Also they have very flat bottoms so I can use small volumes. Rocking the tray is really easy.

They are probably too flexible for large volumes (> a couple liters), but I don't use large volumes. Small volumes can be emptied back into the jugs, even with the large trays (takes a bit of balance). They haven't cracked yet and don't appear to be ready to. Might try this if you can find a store with drawer liners.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Big box hardware stores such as Menards, Lowes, and Home Depot carry large trays of HD plastic that go under a washing machine or refrigerator.
    36"x36" they have about a 3" depth and sell for about $9. You could buy 3 of them, cut platic out of one to use as a divider for the other 2. Would give you 4 wells. Use a caulk such as 3M weatherstrip adheisive. I don't think it outgasses and is pretty impervious to chemicals. Go the the plumbing section and get a piece of self threading pipe and 3or4 stopcocks and you have an easy way to empty after each session.

Look in the phone book for any restaurant wholesalers near you. They will most likely have a used equipment section were you can buy the already mentioned bussing tubs for $4 or $5. Sometimes you can get lucky and find large 4"deep pans for making rolls that would just fit 16x20. They might be $15 or $20 each but those will last forever. Heck I almost bough a used sandwich grill with the top that hinges down for about 80$. Looks just like a dry mounting press. Mount prints and have a rueben sandwich in the same session!
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin