Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,267   Posts: 1,534,342   Online: 779

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

plastic totes for darkroom trays?

Anybody ever consider using these instead of large trays? Price of a set can be cheaper then one large darkroom tray. They even come with lids.

I need a large deep tray for lith printing plus I wouldn't mind a set of 16x20 trays. But even cheap 16x20 trays aren't cheap so I thinking of these things.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've used cat litter trays in the past and they have worked OK. I'd have thought a plastic container is a plastic container, only the name and price changes. Also the large plastic drums that restaurants get oil in, cut vertically work very well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm ALWAYS on the prowl for bargains, so this does sound like a good idea. The only thing I would say is that you will want to make sure that you permanently label those plastics so you do not use them for something else. If you are talking about the Rubbermaid© type containers...they are notorious for holding scents in the plastic.

Tony's idea of cat litterboxes is actually an excellent choice since they are made to withstand ther permeation of odors.
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I picked up a few of these at WalMart and they work great. The one's I picked up are about 12x16, so they'll be good when I get my enlarger finished and start printing 11x14. I've been looking for something that'll be good for 16x20, but so far the only things I've found have been too deep.

I do have standard 8x10 trays, but I find myself using them much less often than the cheap WalMart trays. I have set aside one of the cheap trays for Selenium toning...I figure that I can afford to replace it if it gets too messed up. It's already pretty well permanently stained, but rinsing thoroughly with hot water gets rid of any lingering odors.
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Walmart sent me a flyer which got me thinking-) The underbed ones look okay. The other deeper ones are fairly cheap. I think I need to take a tape measure with me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Many years ago I worked with a guy who was into power boating. One of the lessons I learned from him is that boating accessories always cost more at the boating store than they do at the ordinary hardware store.

The point is that tools and gadgets that are marketed for a narrow niche application always cost more that functionally identical products that have broader uses.

My graduates either say "Pyrex" and came from K-mart, started out as urine collection containers in drug testing programs, or were intended as disposable hospital glassware.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's true but you need to pay attention to avoid getting bitten. I worry about how well they'll hold a lot of liquid. Will it flex alot when I rock the tray. Will it react with the alkaline or acid chemicals.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena
    That's true but you need to pay attention to avoid getting bitten. I worry about how well they'll hold a lot of liquid. Will it flex alot when I rock the tray. Will it react with the alkaline or acid chemicals.
    You can judge the flexibility before you buy the tray. As to chemical reactions, I really didn't worry much about that as these are some fairly thick plastics. If they were going to react, the most I'd be out is one print if I didn't notice right away, plus a couple of bucks. So far, though, no problems at all with the cheapest things that WalMart sells.
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Monophoto
    My graduates either say "Pyrex" and came from K-mart, started out as urine collection containers in drug testing programs, or were intended as disposable hospital glassware.
    Speaking of graduates, there might be a few of you interested in this: I picked up some decent quality graduates, beakers and a triple beam balance from an eBay seller with a "science supplies" store for pretty cheap. Go browse for seller macnanbio. Their prices were good, they were pleasant to deal with and having "real" glassware in the darkroom is nice.

Dean

ps. I have no affiliation with them other than as a satisfied customer.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I bought 8 plastic containers that go under the bed, approx 50inches wide x 10inches lenght and 10 inches depth,
    I labeled them dev stop fix fix wash hypo toner and used them quite succesfully to produce 30 x40 murals. Very easy to use and when finished they are stackable and go under the sink
    The only problem I had was the washing stage as they hold so much water It is really a chore to dump and fill enough to get a good wash. After the prints have gone through the stages of printing the rolled paper is quite fragile therefore care must be taken at the washing stage, I bought a large sheet of plexi to use for squeegie purposes and hang the prints back to back to stop some of the curl when drying. Pop them in the hot press an whammo 30x40 murals.
    All the acessories to do this were bought at the Home Depot for under $200.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin