Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,294   Posts: 1,535,534   Online: 1047

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Removing supplementary filter on Durst CLS 2000

I started taking apart my CLS200 head to remove (and replace) the supplementary filter. I can't seem to figure out how to remove the filter. There does not seem to be any way of accessing it from above. I removed the bulb assembly with the reflector dome, but that's where it ends. Do I have to dissasemble the entire head to access the filter?
    Last edited by Pasto; 12-27-2012 at 01:35 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think you will have to split the case to get to that one. Did it break?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    You're right ic-racer! I had to remove the top half of the head and then remove the structure that holds the lamp assembly. All the filters are then easily accessible.

No the filter is not broken. I'm actually trying to implement the solution to split grade printing with this head that you suggested to me a few months ago. I have some time now. I'd like to replace the supplementary filter with either a yellow or magenta filter of equal strength to the other filters in the head. I got the supplementary filter out. It measures 83 mm x 87 mm x 2 mm. Now, where do I get a dichroic filter to replace this one with? I tried Jensen Optical but he asked about $1600. I'm not sure that he understood, or that I explained well, what my need was...

Also, as the filters are accessible now, is it worth cleaning them individually, or better to not take the risk of breaking them...?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You might try a non-dichroic filter. What is the risk? In 15 years it might fade? Then just replace it again.
    Here is a link to high temp. polycarbonate lighting gel designed to be placed over hot theater lighting. For $6.50 USD you get a 21" square sheet. Enough to last a lifetime of printing. Might be worth a try. I believe the fan in the head will be blowing on it, so it might survive pretty well up there.

Also check this catalog for ideas: http://www.colorfil.com/upload/files...%20Catalog.pdf

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks ic-racer. That is a good idea although I'm a little worried that these would melt and destroy the rest of the filters in the head. Did you mean to include another link to the filter you recommend or is the pdf catalogue all you intended me to look at?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pasto View Post
    Now, where do I get a dichroic filter to replace this one with? I tried Jensen Optical but he asked about $1600.
    Edmund Optics is one source of optical glass that several apuggers have used. In the UK, UQG Optics is another source that I've used - Neither source will be as cheap as ic-racer's suggestion, but then it won't be anywhere near as much as Jensen's quote.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks for the info. I just send them email to see what they can offer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Pasto View Post
    Thanks ic-racer. That is a good idea although I'm a little worried that these would melt and destroy the rest of the filters in the head. Did you mean to include another link to the filter you recommend or is the pdf catalogue all you intended me to look at?
    I think there are glass filters listed in that catalog.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    OK, thanks again ic-racer. I've now received a response from Edmund optics. The largest dichroic they offer is 50 x 50 x 2 mm, and it appear they do not offer custom sizes...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't recommend touching the other filters because the risk of breaking them is costly, HOWEVER, did you consider taking the existing yellow or magenta filter out and putting it in the holder for the supplementary filter. Or are they not the same size?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin