Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,940   Posts: 1,557,432   Online: 822

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Mounting Aristo cold light head on Beseler 45V XL

I have an Aristo cold light head which came with my Beseler 45V XL enlarger. The head has a D-2 marking on it which I am assuming says it is for an Omega enlarger. Has anyone used such a head on their Beseler. If so what kind of adapter is required. Does anyone have one they would be willing to let go of? The head has a Metrolux probe and I also have the Metrolux controller. Bill Barber

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I bought my first Aristo head in 1981 for a D2, and I seem to remember that it was the same head for the Beseler 45 series, with an additional adapter, which I think was a ring of some kind. Someone else will know for sure.
    I did a quick Google search of "aristo cold light with beseler adapter" and found this - an old APUG post:
    http://www.apug.org/forums/archive/i...p/t-82289.html
    Search the forum and you'll probably find something.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you, George. I've begun my search.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nsurit View Post
    I have an Aristo cold light head which came with my Beseler 45V XL enlarger. The head has a D-2 marking on it which I am assuming says it is for an Omega enlarger. Has anyone used such a head on their Beseler. If so what kind of adapter is required.
    Yes, indeed. It is a very light metal donut that sets into the round area after you remove the Beseler condenser unit. You then can drop in the cold light. Shouldn't be too hard to find.

You may want to consider the RH Designs cold light control unit. It would be a huge upgrade from the Metrolux. May want to also grab a backup lamp/tube while they are still available. The 45VXL is a freaking tank. You would be good to go for a looong time.
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Parker, thank you. BB

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ParkerSmithPhoto View Post
    Yes, indeed. It is a very light metal donut that sets into the round area after you remove the Beseler condenser unit. You then can drop in the cold light. Shouldn't be too hard to find.

You may want to consider the RH Designs cold light control unit. It would be a huge upgrade from the Metrolux. May want to also grab a backup lamp/tube while they are still available. The 45VXL is a freaking tank. You would be good to go for a looong time.
    I had the Metrolux with the sensor, it worked perfect. I only got the Stopclock Vario because I will end up using three of them in a workshop environment and want total consistency and support. While FStop printing is a great upgrade, I would not call the timer a huge upgrade over the Metrolux-II.

The spare bulbs that you can get are only D2-HI version which I have. If you print 4x5 like I do, you will have to even out the annoying falloff with the cold light in some way. I am going to experiment with using ND filter material this weekend...
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    PKM-25 - if your HI bulb is in good shape, you shouldn't have fall off. I had one for 25 years, before the V54 came along, and when I started having fall off at the edges, I called Aristo (still in business then) and was told that fall off was a symptom of a bulb beginning to fail. I replace it with the V54 (actually I replaced the head with the filter drawer version, still using it today.)
    My original research indicated that uniform light is one of the advantages of the cold light. You do have the circular piece of milky plexiglass under the bulb in the head, don't you?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by George Collier View Post
    PKM-25 - if your HI bulb is in good shape, you shouldn't have fall off. I had one for 25 years, before the V54 came along, and when I started having fall off at the edges, I called Aristo (still in business then) and was told that fall off was a symptom of a bulb beginning to fail. I replace it with the V54 (actually I replaced the head with the filter drawer version, still using it today.)
    My original research indicated that uniform light is one of the advantages of the cold light. You do have the circular piece of milky plexiglass under the bulb in the head, don't you?
    I actually have two diffusion disks in it, one from a spare cold light. I will pull it and see if what you say is happening. At this point considering what I have wrapped up in it, spending $170 in a new bulb would not be a bad thing...
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin