Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,271   Posts: 1,534,534   Online: 1032

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    I am confused by now...

So, there are stainless-steel center-loaded reels each with a different type of fastening mechanism at the center and there is one such center-loaded reel that has no such mechanism at all?

That one in the first photo above (inserted into post), without mechanism, still seems to have the wires bent in a way that film might be stuck inbetween.

Would anyone try to make me wiser?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    I am confused by now...

So, there are stainless-steel center-loaded reels each with a different type of fastening mechanism at the center and there is one such center-loaded reel that has no such mechanism at all?

That one in the first photo above (inserted into post), without mechanism, still seems to have the wires bent in a way that film might be stuck inbetween.
    The hooks aren't used as hooks, but rather as starting guides.

135 film is stiff enough that when you crimp it slightly over a bar it won't slip out. So when it goes from the crimp into the spiral, it stays there.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by henry finley View Post
    This is one of those times you're over-thinking a non existent problem. If you have a box full of reels, then use the ones that have no fastener of any kind. Every reel I've ever used that had a fastener was the reel that was a btch to thread, and the most likely to buckle the film and cause totally undeveloped and unfixed areas that ruined the roll.
    Agree. I always had trouble with hooks and clips - seemed the film was always off-center so it buckled. I have a couple of reels with clips, but just stick the end of the film into the center of the reel and wind it on. No problems.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Most of my Nikkor 35mm reels look like that, w/o anything to clip or hook the film. And I prefer it like that.
    For me, like some of the other here, a clip or hook just makes loading the film more difficult.
    It is just the way I was taught. And once learned, the "aids" get in the way of doing the job.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Well I'll be dipped... I've got upwards of a dozen, all with spring clips... Sure I have my problems if not careful, but when I heard about all the raves about Hewes, I didn't realize it fitted to a pair of sprocket holes. That would be positive traction for sure.

But since I have enough reels, guess I'm not going to change just for the sake of change.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    Well I'll be dipped... I've got upwards of a dozen, all with spring clips... Sure I have my problems if not careful, but when I heard about all the raves about Hewes, I didn't realize it fitted to a pair of sprocket holes. That would be positive traction for sure.

But since I have enough reels, guess I'm not going to change just for the sake of change.
    I agree. If you needed additional reels, and could find some Hewes at the right price, that would be different. The Nikon and Kindermann work fine. JMHO
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Yes, there are all kinds of these reels, and usually you don't even need to attach the film at the end, even if the reel has a clip or a Kindermann-style punch in the center. It's often quicker to load without the center clip, because the film centers itself naturally when it isn't held in place, so there's less risk of a misload or crimping later down the line.

The only problem with leaving the film loose in the center is that you can start pushing the film so it spools up in the core, if you're not paying attention. With 35mm this isn't usually a problem, but it can be with 120 or 220, where you don't always have so much leader between the end of the film and the last frame (depending on the camera, the format, design of the camera back, etc.).
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    The only problem with leaving the film loose in the center is that you can start pushing the film so it spools up in the core, if you're not paying attention. With 35mm this isn't usually a problem, but it can be with 120 or 220, where you don't always have so much leader between the end of the film and the last frame (depending on the camera, the format, design of the camera back, etc.).
    Good advice, thanks David.

What amuses me is that all my reels are, shall I say, independently sourced. Yet every single one has a spring wire. Just a West Coast thing maybe? Or maybe the Hewes and non-clipped never make it to swap meets and garage sales

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    Good advice, thanks David.

What amuses me is that all my reels are, shall I say, independently sourced. Yet every single one has a spring wire. Just a West Coast thing maybe? Or maybe the Hewes and non-clipped never make it to swap meets and garage sales
    Often these are marked Taiwan or China, or, if unmarked, probably Taiwan or China. Some work, most are PITA.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin