Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,329   Posts: 1,537,177   Online: 840

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Help with 35mm reels--not a loading question

Hello, I've processed quite a few rolls of 35 in my day. Just getting back into it now. I sent away on eBay for two reels. I've received them now and it seems what I THOUGHT were the hooks that latch onto the sprocket holes, are actually just the ends of the wires, and there are no clips in sight. I used to process with nikkor reels, and they had the little hooks coming off of them.

Would love any help. Do I need to send these back?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've had experience with two different types of reels: Stainless steel hub-loading with a film retention spring clip on the hub, and plastic rim-loading using a “walking” action to load from the rim to the hub along the guides. I've never had a reel that uses hooks to catch the sprocket holes.

Do you have any images of the reels? without those I don't think I'll be able to help you that terribly much more than with what I've already said.

Thanks!
    Henry C. Gernhardt, III

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wasn't aware I could post photos--I can't look at them...

Let me try. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.JPG 
Views:	94 
Size:	107.5 KB 
ID:	62236

Ok, that works. Here is a link to the kind with the hooks, that I'm used to.

http://www.shawnhoke.com/wp-content/.../01/140135.jpg

Shooter
    Medium Format
    On that kind of reel you probably don't need a retaining clip. The film will want to curl in the direction of the spiral, and the spiral itself is slightly smaller than the width of the film so that the film will rest in place. Use a fingertip to hold the film in place against the hub at the point where the spiral arms are bent inward axially. You will need to maintain a slight curve across the width of the film as you load the reel. Once the film is engaged in the spiral, you should be good to go as long as you don't apply significant lengthwise tension.

Try loading the reel in daylight with a practice film a few times. Get the feel of it. It'll take a bit of practice.

Good luck!
    Henry C. Gernhardt, III

Images
    Good Afternoon, Silvergrahm,

The reel you have is basically the Nikkor-type available under numerous brand labels, although it lacks the spring device in the center which is commonly used. It's the type I avoid because I long ago found the Kinderman-style (punching pin in the center) or the Hewes-style, as in the link you give, to be superior.

Konical

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The only reels I have used with sprocket hole-tab type of film attachment were Hewes or King Concept. The genuine Nikor reels I have used came with a variety of attachment methods ranging from the one you have acquired to spring clips to 'slip-in' types depending on the vintage.

The one you have will work just fine if you be sure to hold the leader in place as you start the film and then don't pull too hard while loading. I have used your type about as often as I have used the Hewes type.

The spring clip type (usually non-Nikor) will sometimes allow the leader to be secured off center, a sure guarantee that the film will not load properly. The type you have allows proper centering of the leader and easy loading.
    Last edited by Fred Aspen; 01-06-2013 at 02:28 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    -Fred

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Those are my favourite type of reels.

First you need to cut off any leader.

Then just insert the end of the film fully into the centre core area, under the strut two away from the hooks (actually guides) and over top of the strut that is adjacent to the hooks/guides. Essentially, you crimp the film on that adjacent strut, and roll it in to the spiral, going over top of the hooks/guides.

It is much easier to do or show this than it is to describe it.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Konical View Post
    It's the type I avoid because I long ago found the Kinderman-style (punching pin in the center) or the Hewes-style, as in the link you give, to be superior.

Konical
    Never knew the name before, thanks.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am confused by now...

So, there are stainless-steel center-loaded reels each with a different type of fastening mechanism at the center and there is one such center-loaded reel that has no such mechanism at all?

That one in the first photo above (inserted into post), without mechanism, still seems to have the wires bent in a way that film might be stuck inbetween.
    Last edited by AgX; 01-06-2013 at 05:10 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A photographer colleague of mine used to remove any wire clips at the center of stainless reels to render them similar to yours. I never had problems loading them. Just put the end of the film in, hold the edges in place from either side of the hub and wind.
    One of these days I am going to do that mod to my current reels.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin