Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,331   Posts: 1,537,215   Online: 864

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

What to look for in a used upright print washer

Hi Everyone,
    Tomorrow I'm going to look at a used 11x14 upright print washer. I don't know the brand. The last time I looked at such an item, I had no idea what I was looking at expect for a wet pile of plastic panels and tubes. In the event this washer is not assembled, what do I look for to see that it is complete and of good quality? I know there is the tank, the panels that keep the prints separate and the tube that runs from my faucet into the tank. That seems like that's about it. Am I missing anything? Thanks for replies.
    Regards,
    Marc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's impossible to answer without knowing exactly which type! I wonder why it's disassembled.... It's not like it'll take any less space that way.

One of the things I looked at was that outside shell (the container) was leak free and there were no cracks. Just about everything can be fabricated but damaged outside shell will be a bit difficult because of weight and pressure involved.

Is it THIS one?
    http://versalab.com/

Can you take a photo of it and post?
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    35mm
    The integrity of the "case" is paramount. Pretty much anything else can be repaired. Personally what I look for in an 11x14 print washer would be in 16x20.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm not sure of the brand and yes, I'd rather have a 16x20 but those are even harder to find. The seller is asking $100 for the 11x14 so if it's in good shape, it's worth it to me to buy it until a 16x20 comes around again. I can always sell the 11x14.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by marcmarc View Post
    I'm not sure of the brand and yes, I'd rather have a 16x20 but those are even harder to find. The seller is asking $100 for the 11x14 so if it's in good shape, it's worth it to me to buy it until a 16x20 comes around again. I can always sell the 11x14.
    For a $100 bucks, by all means, if it looks to be in good shape.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I recently bought a used Zone VI washer; I think it's representative.

The other shell should have slots for dividers and you should have a divider for each slot. On my Zone VI, the 2 outer dividers (1 on each side) are taller than the other. There are 3 or 4 crosspieces on the bottom that the dividers rest on (on the zone vi, they are removable). There is a plexiglass top that rests on the 2 outer dividers (to keep prints from floating up). That's pretty much it. So I guess the main thing is whether there's a divider for each slot, plus the top.

You'll have an input tube with a fitting (typically female hose) and an output tube. If the washer has a drain, you should have a plug for that drain. If missing, these should be easily sourced.

I agree with tkamiya that the integrity of the shell far outweighs anything else.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I went to look at this washer this evening. It was a Prowash by Dunwright & Vogel. It seemed to be in fairly good shape, but was incomplete. No hoses, no instructions, I had no idea how many of the thin plastic rods there was supposed to be. I passed on it but told the lady I would try to find some more info online. There doesn't seem to be much except a one page diagram that really didn't seem to informative at least to my eyes. I asked her what the best she would do on the price but she was set on $100. I couldn't see spending that without at least the manual that I could take into a plumbing supply store that would make it easier to buy the hoses and fittings and give me some idea of what goes where. I mean there was one large tube near the top of the case and three smaller tubes (with threading) near the bottom and one of these bottom tubes had a cap screwed onto it. Really, I had no idea what I was looking at and there isn't much online to go by. Maybe I'll wait a week or two and call her back. If she still has it, she may be more inclined to accept an offer.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin