Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,762   Posts: 1,516,157   Online: 945

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

What to do with semicomplete Leica V35 Focomat?

Hi,

I recently got a semi-complete Leica V35 for free, it seems to be missing the bulb and holder, along with the lens.

So, is this thing worth fixing (I understand that it's supposed to be quite good), and in what manner? Some sites seem to recommend getting the original lens so the AF will work (what is this and do I need it?), while others recommend a Nikkor instead. And how hard are the bulbs to get and where do I get them from?

Sorry for all these not so bright questions, but I'm a complete newbie when it comes to the whole printing part of darkroom work.
    Canon F1n / FTb / AE-1P | Yashica Mat-124G | Hasselblad 500C/M | Leica IIIf

Shooter
    35mm

This is a great enlarger for 35mm. You can use any normal lens, but will require to refocus when you change image size. The most common original lens is the 40mm Focotar. You see these for sale, but they can be expensive. I don't use the autofocus feature on mine, although I have the correct lens. If the lamp holder is missing, I would suggest contacting the Leica distributor for your area. They may be able to supply the parts, and most likely at a competitive price. The lamps are available from various sources. There is some useful info online, and in the archives of this forum, which may help you. Alex

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I got a V35 for free that was missing only the rear plate behind the bulb holder. I emailed Leica (the German company, not a distributor) and they sent me one for free, commenting that this was the last one they had in stock. I couldn't believe the great service.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuggi View Post
    (I understand that it's supposed to be quite good)
    It is the best 35mm enlarger ever build, only enlarger that uses hybrid lightning.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What to do with a semi-complete V35?? Fix it up and use it!

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by darkosaric View Post
    It is the best 35mm enlarger ever build, only enlarger that uses hybrid lightning.
    What is hybrid lighting?
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    35mm

Quote Originally Posted by ath View Post
    What is hybrid lighting?
    The V35 has a diffuser box which sits on top of a condenser.

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    The Kaiser enlargers with colour head work also that way: diffusor with colour fiklters and condensors.
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I got one today with the copy stand/ light focus /camera slider thing and an M3 attached to it. 40mm focotar included.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    During their production run, Leitz changed the bulb holder anyway. It may be missing because it had the earlier mount.
    Find the specs for the lamp, locate a current equivalent and hit the local electrical supplier for a socket. I don't remember if there was an adapter needed, it's been a Looong time.
    The connections for the socket were crimped connectors. auto parts store should have 'em. Hell, if ya do it that way I'll(PM me) send you a couple of different sizes but its pretty thin wire with a high temp insulation.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin