Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,492   Posts: 1,542,972   Online: 882

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    of course these were the two frames in the whole batch that I really wanted.
    Don't you hate that? One thing I usually do is to have a spare reel in the changing bag. I have cheap reels and they have pits and bumps on them (well, the 35mm ones do). I should really invest on some Hewes and get it over with. But I guess I need the $$ to get dog food, shoes, socks for kids, juice boxes.....

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Well, I was using one of my Hewes reels in this case, so it wasn't the reel's fault. The film still went in smoothly, so I didn't notice the problem until it came out of the wash.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Cheer up Eric I'm sure we've all had at least one blank roll come out of the fix and it's always one we have something special on. Just tell yourself (try to sound convincing) if it worked every time there would be no magic left in processing our our stuff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TPPhotog
    Cheer up Eric I'm sure we've all had at least one blank roll come out of the fix and it's always one we have something special on. Just tell yourself (try to sound convincing) if it worked every time there would be no magic left in processing our our stuff
    Isn't that the BEST part about it?! I CAN'T wait to get it out of the fixer. I usually dump fixer in, count to 5, and open it right away just so I can see the MAGIC. I'll never get tired of seeing images on wet negatives.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Eric me too, I love peeling off the first few frames from the reel when it's in the final wash to peep to see if there's something there. Pure pleasure that beats all other stimulants.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TPPhotog
    Eric me too, I love peeling off the first few frames from the reel when it's in the final wash to peep to see if there's something there. Pure pleasure that beats all other stimulants.
    If you can stop at the first few frames, you have a lot more self-control than I do . The nice thing about stainless is that they are easy to re-wind while wet.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Flotsam
    If you can stop at the first few frames, you have a lot more self-control than I do . The nice thing about stainless is that they are easy to re-wind while wet.
    LOL Neal I use plastic but it's just enough for me to take a deep breath when they are there and wait like an excited child for the wash to finish when I can see them all.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Well I did a shoot once for a charity, it was all a colour neg, I was flying off on holiday the next day, so I left the 5 rolls of film with them with strict instructions on what lab they were to use, that I must get the negs back etc...

Of course they went to wonder snaps or something. I actually got all the film back and to my amazement the cheapie processing was fine bar one roll, it had about 6 frames on it then went blank. I thought I'd used every frame on every 36 exposure roll. I have no idea what happened to it, Oh the markings were there so it wasn't the processing. It really spooked me for quite a while, it's the not knowing what the hell you did, or what strange thing happened to the camera for all those frames.

I love modafoto's story, that mad me laugth.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gareth harper
    I love modafoto's story, that mad me laugth.
    I am glad it brings laughter to someone. Myself I wasn't laughing that day

But the guy who did it haven't been found yet...muhahahaha

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by geraldatwork
    From what I understand developer gets stronger and contras-tier as it ages.
    Not D76h which does not contain any Hydroquinone. There are several explanations around about what happens with D76 as it ages. To me the most likely story seems to start from the known fact that Hydroquinone kneeds to be oxidised to Semiquinione to act superadditive on Metol (i.e. as a regenerator, Junge & Hübner, Photographische Chemie ist a good reference on that). With aged, slightly oxidised D76 there will be more Semiquinone in the solution from the start. This fits nicely to the observation that the rise in contrast with aging D76 is continuous and slow.

In Anchel's and Troop's film developing cookbook it is said that the pH of the solution will rise with age untill it reaches the level were Hydroquinone starts to reduce silverhalide by itself. Having a had a lesson or two in chemistry I'd expect a marked and steep increase at around that pH and a much slower change above and below that value but this is not how it looks.

Stefan

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin