Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,233   Posts: 1,532,927   Online: 1020

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    The Durst 138 has adjustments for the adjustments, all over the place.
    But no adjustment for lens-stage alignment. Same as the bigger Durst enlargers.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Can I ask what may be a dumb question - How critical is enlarger alignment. I am still new to darkroom and I am often swinging the lensboard around to correct verticals. I just line it back up with the centre marks - its a grips screw and slot arrangement. using a focus finder seems to show me that centralising gets the same focus across the baseboard quite easily. Is there not a depth of field on the enlarged image that gives some tolerance anyway? I am not getting this micro-adjustment or am I missing something.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mr rusty View Post
    Can I ask what may be a dumb question - How critical is enlarger alignment. I am still new to darkroom and I am often swinging the lensboard around to correct verticals. I just line it back up with the centre marks - its a grips screw and slot arrangement. using a focus finder seems to show me that centralising gets the same focus across the baseboard quite easily. Is there not a depth of field on the enlarged image that gives some tolerance anyway? I am not getting this micro-adjustment or am I missing something.
    Well the smallest print I make is 11x14 and commonly do 16x20 and 20x24 with plans in the near future to do mural printing up to 50x whatever. So the more magnification you imply on the optical path, the more accuracy of alignment is required of your planes. So when I first asked this question, it was to basically say I wanted to cut to the chase and find out what is out there in terms of monorail view camera like adjustments of these planes on an enlarger.

Like I said in my previous post, the 45MX seems to work well right up to 20x24 with a laser alignment tool nearby to check it every time I move the enlarger up and down. But for 30x40's and bigger, alignment becomes more critical, so I asked the question.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mr rusty View Post
    Is there not a depth of field on the enlarged image that gives some tolerance anyway?
    Yes and you can calculate it by a simple arrangement of the view camera focusing formula. The greater the magnification, the less tolerance for negative to lens misalignment. If you want some real numbers, when enlarging a 4x5" negative to 11"x14", you have about one millimeter of negative DOF or about 2.5cm of baseboard/easel/paper DOF at f5.6. Of course there are subjective variables in the equation (like acceptable circle of confusion size which relates to print viewing distance). But as you can see, even if one wants to argue ad nauseam about print viewing distances and CoC sizes, the numbers I presented are not in the micrometer order of magnitude and should be obtainable in just about any 4x5" enlarger out there.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Which means, I guess, that flatness of film would be of more importance that (re-) adjustment of the lens stage of a Durst-something, as long as not fallen from a truck.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The only 4x5 enlarger I have personal experience with is the Omega D2V. It has a full range of adjustments for the head (relative to the column/table) and the negative stage (relative to the head), however many of them aren't obvious without a good alignment guide. The Omega uses a range of concentric rods and set screws to accomplish the alignment. I assume the other Omega D models have similar adjustments.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A lot depends on the image being enlarged and where the viewers eye will focus on. Some images may be more demanding than others. JMHO
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Oh well I am quite happy with my Beseler CB7 as long as I have paper and chemical to use it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    Oh well I am quite happy with my Beseler CB7 as long as I have paper and chemical to use it.
    I would be too, it is a good step above the 45MX series in terms of build and adjustments. I managed to find just the head assembly with the focus motor in prefect condition for a decent price. I am currently designing a horizontal mural enlarger around it, should work great.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Well my Durst certainly has particular lens alignment features, and my Omega D certainly doesn't,
    though I have added some of my own. But the Durst if far more precisely built and a lot more solid
    to begin with. The idea of not checking and correcting such things is about as sensible as driving around on a flat tire.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin