Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,913   Posts: 1,556,260   Online: 870

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RidingWaves View Post
    That's it! The Delta One Bes Align. I didn't know you could still find those new!
    Can you bore it out to 50mm or are you stuck at 39?
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    While we are complaining about enlargers being imprecise, can we also complain about them leaking light? I boggles my mind why enlarger manufacturers just unanimously decided that it was ok for enlargers to leak light all over the place...in a darkroom.
    Can we also complain about view camera alignment/precision? Might as well start with that, no? I seem to remember a certain PKM-25 calling me out on that...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    Can we also complain about view camera alignment/precision? Might as well start with that, no? I seem to remember a certain PKM-25 calling me out on that...
    If enlargers had half the adjustments of my lowly 45N-2 I would have never even started this thread..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What annoys me about MY enlarger (D2 and DII) is that I spend time aligning it just right, then move the caridge up and down, and measure again, it's OFF AGAIN! Extend the bellows and collapse, repeat, and measure, it's OFF AGAIN. Remove the neg carrier out and put it in again.... you guessed it, it's OFF AGAIN!

My prints are much better than before the alignment but it keeping PRECISE alignment, it's not possible.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    What we need is to form a consortium centered on creating the Sinar of large format enlargers.
    My real name is Patrick, not Joe. Long Story.

Shooter
    35mm
    I am surprised no one has mentioned DeVere enlargers.

They have very precise and intuitively obvious adjustments for the negative , Lens Stage and Baseboard.

The only thing missing is a Helical Focus capability a la Focomat,

I was very disappointed with the Omega B22 and B66 as it had no lens stage adjustment what so ever.

Emerson in Kanata Ontario

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Omega D5 Enlarger Alignment

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bates View Post
    The only 4x5 enlarger I have personal experience with is the Omega D2V. It has a full range of adjustments for the head (relative to the column/table) and the negative stage (relative to the head), however many of them aren't obvious without a good alignment guide. The Omega uses a range of concentric rods and set screws to accomplish the alignment. I assume the other Omega D models have similar adjustments.
    Very true.

I have an Omega D5XL. It's wall-mounted and cross-braced with a set of DIY custom heavy-duty threaded rods and individually adjustable turnbuckles. Using these turnbuckles I can control front-to-back tilt of the overall unit and rotation around the vertical axis at the base mounting plate to a coarse degree. But for fine adjustments you must use the controls mentioned by Mike.

I ran across this Omega D5 alignment page on the Zig-Align website that might be worth posting for future APUG search references.

It describes a brief procedure for aligning the lens stage of this enlarger using both the eccentric rods and set screws (front-to-back tilt) and the adjustable brake track (side-to-side position). First the lens stage is adjusted. Then the negative stage is independently adjusted using its side-mount bolts. A diagram is included.

According to the above guide, alignment of an Omega D2 "is not the same in detail, but it is similar in general."

Ken
    Last edited by Ken Nadvornick; 01-16-2013 at 12:21 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm glad this thread has some sensibility going on in it and some legs to boot. I just think that enlargers, being not more than heavy duty heat resistant view cameras pointed downward have room for improvement. Until I get a proper darkroom space, I have to make do with my "Volkswagen" 45MX and my Versalab and maybe some home made tricks.

I think lightweight LED VC light sources can open up a lot of new possibilities in designing slick hybrid enlargers from the ground up. I look forward to messing with it when I have the room and cash...

If you were to design an mulit-format enlarger for black and white multigrade printing from the ground up and had a decent budget, what would you do?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Well I'd probably use the already existing Bessler 45 series neg holders, lots of them around and they work well and can be modified. I like the Bes-align idea of three screws to align things, I'd make the neg stage and lens stage have it so I could dial in both those relative to the paper stage.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Interesting question. I've often wished I was a machinist with access to all that CNC and crazy water table stuff. Man, I'd build exactly the perfect view camera and enlarger for me, and it would be so precise it would be ridiculous. The tolerances would be incredibly small, with scales as precise as possible. Of course that's all just dreaming - although I've pretty much built/modified all my negative carriers so that they work exactly how I want.

More realistically I think in the end there are only a few things I'd fix on my Saunders 4550 (VCCE head):

1. I'd redesign the lens stage (ie focusing) to be more rigid and precise. I never liked lens stages supported by those two rods on one side. Mine hasn't gone out of alignment, but it just seems wrong for that kind of money and I feel like if I had a particularly heavy lens it might go out of alignment.

2. Swing/tilt on the lens stage. Of course this would have to have extremely precise scales for zeroing it. It's a feature I'd probably only use very rarely, but nice to have.

Other than that I'm pretty much fine with my enlarger. I check alignment from time to time and it is still bang on (luckily). As for light sources, I guess LEDs and fancy metering/exposure/timing devices etc are kind of cool but they wouldn't add any value to me.

Designing a view camera from the ground up, that's another story.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin