Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,269   Posts: 1,534,401   Online: 908

Shooter
    Medium Format

Kostiner 20x20 easel question...

Hey guys,

I scored on a 20x20 Kostiner easel. I have a question regarding the magnitic strips with white markings on it. What are those for?

ToddB

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I own one of these, purchased new. "magnetic strips with white markings" doesn't sound familar (OTOH I haven't had my darkroom set up and in use for almost 15 years!). Does this picture (from the web) help?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Sorry no.. I'll to take a quick pic post it. Here they are.
    Todd
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  
    Last edited by ToddB; 01-19-2013 at 04:35 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have two Kostiner easels and I've never seen those strips. It strikes me that they are not needed, but could be used for making test strips.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I haven't ever encountered the pictured item either. Same opinion as David...not needed; could be to assist in making test strips.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've heard great things about Kostiner easels, but always wondered why 20x20, rather than 20x24.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    I've heard great things about Kostiner easels, but always wondered why 20x20, rather than 20x24.
    Because they are designed for 16 x 20 paper, and permit easy landscape or portrait orientation on the baseboard?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, agree that those are likely guides to assist with making evenly spaced test strips. White marks on a black base are more visible under dim safelight, and reflect less overspilled image light, if that happens. Magnetic means they can be repositioned anywhere on the easel base they are required. They might even be DIY add-ons?

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Because they are designed for 16 x 20 paper, and permit easy landscape or portrait orientation on the baseboard?
    Correct. I have the 20x20 and the 14x14.

To the OP: If you have no use for the magnetic strips, I'll pay reasonable postage to take them off your hands.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hey guys, thanks for the imput on those strips. I'll think I'll keep them. I got really lucky on finding this. Paid less than 100.00 for it. It was never used.

Toddb

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin