Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,518   Posts: 1,543,745   Online: 867

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I did little researching on this subject:

http://www.mufong.com.tw/Ciba/ciba_g...righteners.pdf

It's amazing how many different products COULD contain optical brighteners, including the very product we use to make photographs ourselves. (see page 9)

I think the first step in this research should be to confirm if the paint OP plans to use indeed contain Optical Brighteners. If the answer is no, then there is no concern. If yes, if it will actually be sufficient to cause problems in photographic processes. My guess is no but without some firm data, we all be guessing.

OP is really asking not about wall color, so I'd suggest he'd start there.

My walls are pretty white. No problems in my personal darkroom. (other than reflection of light leaks from my enlargers)
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A lot of shared darkrooms are painted black, because it is always difficult to control what light others may spill.

I wouldn't worry a lot about brighteners that respond to UV, unless you intend to use poorly shielded, UV light emitting light sources (and if so, why?)
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    But what about the white shirt of the Apugger?? Thought about that?
    I use a colour anaylser as an exposure meter and moving around in front of the enlarger whilst taking readings does effect it (not much but it shows up on the readings). I've never worried about it but maybe I should buy a black t-shirt for darkroom work!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    The key point here is not what color the walls are, it's what color the walls reflect.
    The colour of the wall is the colour the walls reflect!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Damn! Busted!!

I knew someone was going to catch that. Could I wiggle out of it by saying that the OP was really asking about UV-induced fluorescence? Naw, that's too far of a stretch. I'm just an idiot...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Well I guess my original question was not an issue. Thanks.

Seem to have started a hare, though. Once in my school days I painted a darkroom flat black. Never again. It was so gloomy. I want light and lots of it, safe when that's needed, otherwise white light. Good points about enlarger leaks, though. Mine is quite well behaved, but a flat black section around it would be a good idea. This is a new build dedicated darkroom shed, so I can decorate it how I like. No bathroom ducks.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post

Steve.
    Not if they're black. Except black isn't a colour, I mean color. Oh hell, none more black.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just checked all the white walls in house: no optical brighteners applied. Maybe the adding of brighteners is a more recent trend.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    AgX, how do you check? Here in the UK, everything sold as Brilliant White (as opposed to just White) has optical brighteners. (Strangely, it also fades to a very dirty looking yellowish-white as it ages.)

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    The publication I have from Kodak for darkroom design suggests painting the room light green, light gray, or white for comfort and even safelight illumination.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin