Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,909   Posts: 1,521,565   Online: 791

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dust Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format

Dust Strand

My regular exercise before I put negative in a negative carrier for enlarging.

- Wear gloves.
    - Carry the camel hair brush in the pocket.
    - Take negatives carefully from sleeves.
    - Bursh it gently on both sides.
    - Put it in a negative carrier.
    - Print.

Occasional problems: Tiny strand(2-3mm in length << 1mm of width) which are invisible to eyes got magnified on the prints. Sometimes right on the face which is very distracting esp., when I try to show the prints to my wife.

May I know how to get rid of those strand?
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't wear gloves but wash/dry my hands before handling film carefully from the edges.
    I use an antistatic brush first and then an air blower, both after placing the film in the carrier if it happens to be glassless.
    Almost never got any dust printed (it actually amazes me).

I also keep the brush clean and in its box when not used.

If your gloves are usual cotton ones they may well be the source of fibres. I suggest using polyester antistatic gloves if you have to use them at all.
    This and air blower is where I would start.

Andres

Images
    Good Morning, Baachitraka,

Dust almost never adheres to the emulsion side of a negative. After putting the negative in the carrier, hold it under the enlarger lens (light on, of course) to check for dust. Then, to the extent that you can, check again after sliding the carrier into place. Dust can settle on the negative as the carrier is inserted. I don't have much problem with that, but occasionally, I'll need to remove and re-insert the carrier two or three times before finally lowering the condenser head, even though I use an antistatic brush. It also helps to use MF and LF negatives so that any small inperfections in the negative are less noticeable in the print.

Konical

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I use the camel hair brash and air compressor.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What kind of gloves are you using? If cotton gloves, that could be the source of your "strands". I usually don't use gloves and I have a blast of air as the last step. Even with that, sometimes junk gets on the film. I don't think it's possible to eliminate it completely every time.

I have a large quantity of powder free poly gloves. If I have to use gloves, that's what I use.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by baachitraka View Post
    My regular exercise before I put negative in a negative carrier for enlarging.

- Wear gloves.
    - Carry the camel hair brush in the pocket.
    - Take negatives carefully from sleeves.
    - Bursh it gently on both sides.
    - Put it in a negative carrier.
    - Print.

Occasional problems: Tiny strand(2-3mm in length << 1mm of width) which are invisible to eyes got magnified on the prints. Sometimes right on the face which is very distracting esp., when I try to show the prints to my wife.

May I know how to get rid of those strand?
    If it is a glass carrier, you need to get the dust off the two sides of the glass in contact with the negative. If it is a glassless carrier, I usually would put the negative in the carrier first, then try to get the dust off of it. You need to have a bright light shine on it and hold it at an angle to see the dust. Randomly brushing the negative just puts dust from the brush on the negative. You need to see each dust particle and remove it. I think a blower works better.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mine is old focomat Ic with a primitive negative carrier, I thinking to upgrade with any modern one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    What kind of gloves are you using? If cotton gloves, that could be the source of your "strands". I usually don't use gloves and I have a blast of air as the last step. Even with that, sometimes junk gets on the film. I don't think it's possible to eliminate it completely every time.

I have a large quantity of powder free poly gloves. If I have to use gloves, that's what I use.
    I bought it in a supermarkt for EUR 5.00(100 pair), which are polyester and powder free.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    In the winter time, if you can operate in your darkroom without heavy shirts or sweaters, you may eliminate a source that you carry with you with every step in the darkroom----I try to wear only a t-shirt if I can. This becomes especially important when loading sheet film holders in the dark, warm winter shirts or sweaters, I have found, are not good to wear when loading sheet film, fibers will stir with even the smallest movements.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I recommend using compressed dry air to get all of the dust off your negatives before printing. It works miracles for me and I hardly ever have to dust my prints. Very rare that I have to, even 35mm to 16x20 inch (40x50cm).
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin