Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,930   Posts: 1,585,376   Online: 978

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Beseler Motor Drum Question

Ive got the opportunity to get a Beseler motor base and some "print" tanks for next to nada today.

Can the motor base or tanks be used to develop film? In particular I'd like to do 4x5 sheet film and 35mm.

Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes. It's best if the motor reverses.

Some people use print drums for sheet film. I do for 5x7. Or for 4x5 you could use the Jobo film drums. Same drums work for smaller formats. I don't know about Beselar but I think Uniroller used to make film tanks and reels to.

So it's possible.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can do 2 4X5s in a 4X5 Beselar paper drum. I also have the Unicolor film drum and reels, but the gaskets are worn out and they (2 tanks) leak. I have not looked into making replacement gaskets, but I guess it is a possibility. I can only fit 2 4x5s in the Beselar and when I shoot 4x5 I may expose 20 to 30 negatives, so I use either trays or tanks with hangers.

Images
    In the past I used both a Beseler unit (it reversed) and two Unicolor units (one didnt reverse). The beseler motorbase was much faster than the Unicolor ones, so times were very short. Not sure if this was just my unit, or if all Beselers were like that. Try to find some Unicolor 8x10 Drums. You can do 1-4 sheets of film in them. The LF site has an article about it.
    hi!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Howell
    I can only fit 2 4x5s in the Beselar and when I shoot 4x5 I may expose 20 to 30 negatives, so I use either trays or tanks with hangers.
    Nice thing about the Jobo tanks is they'll take up to 18 sheets.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Out of curiosity...

For those who are using 8X10 print drums for their film processing, how much solution are you using in the drum?

I use 200ml when processing 4 4X5 or 2 5X7 sheets in an 8X10 Unidrum. If I'm souping in Microdol-X 1:3, I up that to 400ml as 50ml of Microdol-X stock solution can be nudging, if not downright pushing, the limits of exhaustion.

IIRC, Unicolor specified 60ml for an 8X10 sheet of color paper (carefully leveled drum), 120ml if multiple smaller prints were processed. I haven't used mine for color printing in a long time, so my memory may be a bit off.
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use 200ml per sheet of 5x7 but that's only 50ml of D-23 stock. I don't know if the tank would leak with too much. If it did I'd just use the film lid. I know with that lid on the tank will take quite a bit of liquid without leaking.

Images
    Good Afternoon, Bob,

With my Chromega 8 x 10 drum, I normally use 10 to 12 ounces of solution when I process four 4 x 5 sheets of film. I've used 8 ounces (Technidol) with no problems at all. I suspect even 6 ounces would be adequate, but with cost not being a serious factor for most B & W chemicals, I prefer to err on the side of caution. I can use up to 15 or 16 ounces in the Chromega before some of it comes out during the rotation.

Konical

Images
    Good luck. I never had a problem with my Unicolor 8x10 tube once I realized that the emulsion goes toward the inside of the tube. I am using an 11x14 unicolor to do 4 5x7 sheets. I have no idea how much solution I am supposed to use. I put 400ML in the tube and got a 1 inch super dense strip on the bottom of all my negs. At least the line showed me the tube was level.

Anyone else use an 11x14 tube?
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not the unicolor. I just grab which tank is dry and nearest. For quite awhile I had more 11x14 tanks then 8x10 so I guess I mostly used 11x14.

Your getting overdevelopment at the bottom of the tube?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin