Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,770   Posts: 1,516,510   Online: 775

Shooter
    Multi Format

ND filters for enlarging?

Like a recent poster, I have a little backlog of rather thin (underdeveloped &/or underexposed) negatives which scan OK, but are nigh-on impossible for someone of my limited darkroom skills to print. They require such short exposure times that it's hard to be accurate and consistent with them, even stopped down to f/22 (which I know is not best practice). I'm not worried about managing contrast, I can experiment with that.

I'm presuming an ND filter will go some way to ameliorating this for me ?

If so, will "any old" ND filter for a camera do ? (I mean of decent quality and no covered in scratches of course )

and yes, I am learning to produce negatives of appropriate quality for enlarging now ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pdeeh View Post
    If so, will "any old" ND filter for a camera do ?
    Yes.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I use a three stop filter on my enlarger to enable the use of reasonable apertures. Without it, my apertures tend to be at f/22 or higher.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Years ago, before buying a regulator for my Ariso head, I used ND filters, placed at the bottom of the head, above the white plexiglass piece.
    I went to a local theatrical supply house, and they had sheets about 20 x 24 or so, of various gray values, used for the same purpose in lighting.
    One sheet was less than $5, and I could stack them as I needed. I had to remove the bulb assembly, or I could place them above the neg. If above the neg, they have to be dust free, or a near wide open f/stop to reduce depth of field. Cheap option.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    With unusual luck, all three of my enlarging lenses take the same size filter, so I bought a regular 2-stop camera type filter. I work mostly with 6x6cm negatives and usually do some small test prints about 5x5 inches with the filter on. Then to do 10x10 or so, I crank up the head and take the filter off -- puts me right in the ballpark for exposure (not exact, but close).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    thanks for the contributions and confirmations from everyone.

And for the detailed and helpful PM I received from another forum member

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What enlarger and bulb are you using?
    Maybe you can simply swap to a lower wattage bulb.
    That is what I did for my Durst M600, I swapped out the 150w bulb for a 75w bulb.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I also use ND filters on one enlarger with an Ilford head. On my Durst condenser I use a variac to reduce the voltage. Taking it from 110 to 70 volts lets me take off two stops. Each 10 volt drop seems to give about a half stop. Of corse you need an enlarger that uses a regular line voltage bulb for this to work. Also the color might shift a bit (and the contrast along with it).

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin