Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,497   Posts: 1,543,055   Online: 1032
      
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Aurora, IL
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    1,954

    Question regarding color densitometer.

    I have a question regarding color densitometer whether reflection or transmission type. I know all of them only have 3 sensors and only measure the R,G and B. They use the RGB value to compute the V value. I wonder is there a formula to do that? I know if the reading is 1.00, 1.00, 1.00 on all 3 color channels then the V is also 1.00 but what if the RGB values are different? Just and average of the 3 or is there a weight for some channels.

  2. #2
    ic-racer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Midwest USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    6,215
    None of my color densitometers work that way. Is there a specific unit you know of that works that way?

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Penfield, NY
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    1,027
    The luminosity method is a more sophisticated version of the average method. It also averages the values, but it forms a weighted average to account for human perception. We’re more sensitive to green than other colors, so green is weighted most heavily. The formula for luminosity is 0.21 R + 0.71 G + 0.07 B

  4. #4

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Aurora, IL
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    1,954
    thanks Prof Pixel

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    330
    I think that Prof_Pixel is describing the weighting used in a television standard (Rec.709), which I think is only valid for a specific set of phosphors and a certain visual adaptation (ie, to a specified color temperature).

    I don't think it's legitimate to use this for densitometry; they're just different things.

    The ideal thing is to use a densitometer with a proper visual response. I don't believe it is possible to derive the visual density of an arbitrary material from standard tri-color densities (Status A or Status M).

  6. #6

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Aurora, IL
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    1,954
    What I am asking is my densitometer like most has 4 readings R, G, B and V but it only uses 3 channel sensor. How did it figure out the V.

  7. #7
    ic-racer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Midwest USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    6,215
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    What I am asking is my densitometer like most has 4 readings R, G, B and V but it only uses 3 channel sensor. How did it figure out the V.
    What brand of densitometer is it. I have not seen a densitometer that shows "V". You probably need to contact the manufacturer to find out.
    If "V" is from the HSV system, then there are some converters on-line that can go from RGB to HSV: http://www.cs.rit.edu/~ncs/color/t_c...HSV%20to%20RGB http://www.javascripter.net/faq/rgb2hsv.htm

    The color densitometry chapter in Todd an Zakia describes Equivalent Neutral Density (END) and mentions that if you know the END and Analytic Spectral Density of a dye, you can take that ratio and use it in the ASD/ISD conversion matrix to calculate END.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Aurora, IL
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    1,954
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    What brand of densitometer is it. I have not seen a densitometer that shows "V". You probably need to contact the manufacturer to find out.
    If "V" is from the HSV system, then there are some converters on-line that can go from RGB to HSV: http://www.cs.rit.edu/~ncs/color/t_c...HSV%20to%20RGB http://www.javascripter.net/faq/rgb2hsv.htm

    The color densitometry chapter in Todd an Zakia describes Equivalent Neutral Density (END) and mentions that if you know the END and Analytic Spectral Density of a dye, you can take that ratio and use it in the ASD/ISD conversion matrix to calculate END.
    The densitometer is the X-Rite 810 reflection/transmission densitometer. The V stands for Visual and it's the same as B&W density.

  9. #9
    ic-racer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Midwest USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    6,215
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    The densitometer is the X-Rite 810 reflection/transmission densitometer. The V stands for Visual and it's the same as B&W density.
    Why do you think it calculates the "Visual"? From the manual, it would seem it measures it at the time it measures the 3 colors. Perhaps you have had the measuring head off and saw 3 sensors only?
    Also, common sense indicates the "X-rite Visual" may be similar to a B&W density reading, but did you see in any documentation that it is indeed "the same as B&W density?"
    Each time a measurement is taken, all four colors (visual, red, green, and blue) are read
    Anyway, the "X-rite Visual" has my curiosity because my x-rite 890 does not display the "X-rite Visual" output, it just lists the 3 colors. Also, this X-rite document on color standards and measurement does not mention "Visual" or "X-rite Visual": http://www.xrite.com/documents/liter...d_Color_en.pdf
    Last edited by ic-racer; 01-28-2013 at 10:57 AM. Click to view previous post history.



 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin