Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,002   Posts: 1,524,413   Online: 965
      
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21
  1. #11
    ROL
    ROL is offline
    ROL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    California
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    788
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    Everyone knows that. What makes his find special is it's already made for $6.00.
    SPECIAL. Thanks for the clarification (not).

    What makes forums like these valuable to people other than an OP, maybe someone not as accomplished as you so obviously are, searching "print drying", is that they are able to get as much information from as many viewpoints as posters are willing to share. I didn't realize that this was CPorter Post. Do not touch, do not embellish, do not increase the sphere of knowledge for anyone interested in anything other than sub $6 screens.
    Last edited by ROL; 01-26-2013 at 09:26 PM. Click to view previous post history.

  2. #12
    CPorter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    West KY
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    1,662
    Images
    24
    I just happened across these screens while looking for something totally unrelated, probably could've gotten them a long time ago but just never thought about it.

  3. #13
    eddie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,400
    Images
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    SPECIAL. Thanks for the clarification (not).

    What makes forums like these valuable to people other than an OP, maybe someone not as accomplished as you so obviously are, searching "print drying", is that they are able to get as much information from as many viewpoints as posters are willing to share. I didn't realize that this was CPorter Post. Do not touch, do not embellish, do not increase the sphere of knowledge for anyone interested in anything other than sub $6 screens.
    What's wrong with you? Someone posted something that may interest members. For those looking for an inexpensive drying solution, this could be a valuable post. My "accomplishments", or lack thereof, have nothing to do with it.

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    825
    Images
    42
    I keep my drying racks on a couple of rails mounted near the ceiling over my darkroom sink - out of the way and any drips (after wiping with a soft rubber blade) do no harm. My under-counter space is at too much of a premium to use it for racks. My small ones were designed for windows. The big ones (20 x 24) were custom made for another photographer.
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    655
    I've been meaning for ages to get some of these:

    http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...3#.UQS5J5ildhE

    and slide them into some kind of rack under the counter. I like the stacking the smaller screens allow. These bigger ones might sag too much for that.

    s-a
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

  6. #16
    eddie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,400
    Images
    200
    s-a,
    Mine are 24x36. I made the frames of wood, and stapled the screens on. I haven't had any sagging issues. I would think the spline on the manufactured screen would stay even tighter.

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Seattle, Washington area
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    417
    s-a,
    Take a look at these as well. They are cheaper than H.D. and are 24x30 (still enough for 20x24 prints). Nice quality. I sized my under-counter location to handle eight of them, about 4.5" apart; they easily dry overnight without moving air through them (which I'm reluctant to do anyway as it can stur up any lurking dust when drying negatives on the over-the-sink wire at the same time).

    http://www.calumetphoto.com/eng/prod...screens/zn7000
    Last edited by silveror0; 01-27-2013 at 01:26 PM. Click to view previous post history.

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    655
    Quote Originally Posted by silveror0 View Post
    s-a,
    Take a look at these as well. They are cheaper than H.D. and are 24x30 (still enough for 20x24 prints). Nice quality. I sized my under-counter location to handle eight of them, about 4.5" apart; they easily dry overnight without moving air through them (which I'm reluctant to do anyway as it can stur up any lurking dust when drying negatives on the over-the-sink wire at the same time).

    http://www.calumetphoto.com/eng/prod...screens/zn7000
    These do look good. Thanks for the tip!

    s-a
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

  9. #19

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    655
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    s-a,
    Mine are 24x36. I made the frames of wood, and stapled the screens on. I haven't had any sagging issues. I would think the spline on the manufactured screen would stay even tighter.
    Eddie,

    Yes, this is a simple project, but as I get older I'm ever more inclined to throw money at things I once would have done myself. Building my darkroom was just about my limit; as it is I can barely balance time for the camera, the bike, the lawn mower, the house, the job...

    s-a

    (Say there, how's HN doing? Does she ever ask about me? )
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

  10. #20
    Mainecoonmaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,912
    Images
    6
    It's a great tip. Buying them pre-made at a good price is hard. I made mine and it's a pain in the rear.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin