Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,331   Posts: 1,537,225   Online: 895

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    O-N-F, you mentioned the Agfa Repromaster lens a few posts ago. I had one a couple of years ago, a 305mm I think, that I used on a camera. It was a sharp lens, big and heavy as well. They are cheap (I think I paid $60) with a large image circle so maybe take a look at that one. I seem to recall that it is a six element design. I am working off of memory though so don't quote me...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nige View Post
    Just wondering, what is the paper worth in the size you want to print? Whenever I look at large sheet prices I cringe... but if it's coming of a roll, maybe the cost per foot or whatever is not to bad? (just need to fork out the initial $$$$ to get started)
    Yes, fifty-six inch roll paper and it is pricey even by the foot. It's okay because I'm not likely to shoot many images... ever... that merit such large prints. I still want the opportunity to try it though. It's a boyhood fantasy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Robert James View Post
    O-N-F, you mentioned the Agfa Repromaster lens a few posts ago. I had one a couple of years ago, a 305mm I think, that I used on a camera. It was a sharp lens, big and heavy as well. They are cheap (I think I paid $60) with a large image circle so maybe take a look at that one. I seem to recall that it is a six element design. I am working off of memory though so don't quote me...
    I keep looking for information regarding less pricey options vs. "G" series lenses but continue to come up short. From what I gather the Apo Process lenses can work fairly well but I'm pretty nit-picky and want my prints very sharp center-to-corner with plenty of micro-contrast. If I can see very little difference up-close between murals made through Agfa Repromaster or Apo Nikkor lenses vs. G-Componon or Rodagon-G lenses then I'll certainly save that cash and use one of the former. If the differences are significant then I'd rather keep looking for the latter.

My ignorance is always costing me much time and/or money...

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I am really interested in how you are going to make these monster prints in a single tray.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    I am really interested in how you are going to make these monster prints in a single tray.
    I may be fooling myself about that but I hope I can make it work. The tray would be on a tilt-table with very large/fast fill and dump valves with hoses... at least an inch in diameter. Chemicals would be on heavy-duty selves above the tray. Dumping would occur via a huge valve at the far end of the tray in a shallow sump area with a V-shaped wedge to help facilitate gathering of fluids at the dump valve. Chemicals will be saved in buckets to reuse. Rinse and wash water will go to the septic tank. Processing time will be fairly long to avoid unevenness and streaking. I'm thinking stainless steel is a must if I use the same tray for all chemicals.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I found a 300mm Apo Rodagon in an obscure little shop here but it doesn't look anything like the enlarging lens. It has a fixed aperture of f/7 and is in a straight barrel with a flange at the rear. It appears to be multi-coated. Any idea what this is?

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    you will need to devise a way that the paper is separated from the drain .. the paper is very limp and you stand the very real chance of destroying the print with the quick dump that you are thinking about.

QUOTE=Old-N-Feeble;1462299]I may be fooling myself about that but I hope I can make it work. The tray would be on a tilt-table with very large/fast fill and dump valves with hoses... at least an inch in diameter. Chemicals would be on heavy-duty selves above the tray. Dumping would occur via a huge valve at the far end of the tray in a shallow sump area with a V-shaped wedge to help facilitate gathering of fluids at the dump valve. Chemicals will be saved in buckets to reuse. Rinse and wash water will go to the septic tank. Processing time will be fairly long to avoid unevenness and streaking. I'm thinking stainless steel is a must if I use the same tray for all chemicals.[/QUOTE]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    you will need to devise a way that the paper is separated from the drain .. the paper is very limp and you stand the very real chance of destroying the print with the quick dump that you are thinking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Old-N-Feeble View Post
    I may be fooling myself about that but I hope I can make it work. The tray would be on a tilt-table with very large/fast fill and dump valves with hoses... at least an inch in diameter. Chemicals would be on heavy-duty selves above the tray. Dumping would occur via a huge valve at the far end of the tray in a shallow sump area with a V-shaped wedge to help facilitate gathering of fluids at the dump valve. Chemicals will be saved in buckets to reuse. Rinse and wash water will go to the septic tank. Processing time will be fairly long to avoid unevenness and streaking. I'm thinking stainless steel is a must if I use the same tray for all chemicals.
    True, that. I'm thinking of using a long dowel-shaped (cylinder) clamp on one side to pinch the paper, probably with a small paper fold at the end to make it thicker. This will help with paper handling and provide a way to hold it in position in the tray. The reason for the dowel shape is it'll allow me to roll the paper onto it for transport out of the wash.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If you're still looking for a lens, I have a Konica Hexanon GR II 260mm f9 that would probably do the trick. It is a process lens that will cover 11x14 if you're using it as an objective lens, but it should do very nicely for your purposes aiming the other way round.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you, T-F-C. I have deals in the works for 150mm Rodagon-G and 300mm Componon-S lenses. Do you think the GR II will make sharp images center-to-corner at 12-15x? Reversed, right?

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin