Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,933   Posts: 1,585,502   Online: 844

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Vaughn
    Luckily my D5 has a color head, so no worries about the condenser lens.
    I have the standard model, not the XL chassis. Where I'm going to put my darkroom, I have a height constraint, so an XL chassis won't fit. Funny that it was hard to find the shorter chassis.

Hey, how did you know I put a box under my easel in high school :-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have five lenses distributed between two turrets, and switch between them.

50, 80, 90, 105 and 150mm focal lengths.

The loaded turrets are easy to store and easy to use.

Now if only I could get my hands on that 63mm Nikor that I'd like, for a price I'm willing to pay, my turrets would be complete.

They are definitely worthwhile.

One caution though - the turrets come in two versions, and only the thinner one works (barely) with some of the 50mm lenses.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I also have two turrets for my D5XL. One is the "modern" setup. Schneider Componon-S 50/100/150 lenses. The other is the "period" setup. Kodak Ektar 50/75/100 lenses.

The first is for general use. The second I'm using to print from my late father's stash of b&w negatives. His negatives were made in the early-to-mid 1950s. And so were these Ektars. It's a nice, authentic match that gives true period results.

I couldn't deal with having to manually mount between six lenses. Actually seven, as I also have a Componon-S 80/4. Turrets are the only way to go. Some will tell you there are alignment issues with turrets. But my negatives project with perfect edge-to-edge sharp grain. And I have gone to some trouble to assure this, including the use of double glass AN carriers.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The part number on my turret is 404-867.
    Is that the thicker turret?

Looks like I will just have to test my turret with my 50mm EL-Nikkor with a spacer so the turret will rotate. Have to go to Ace Hardware to get a 6/32x3/8" screw to put the spacer under the lens adapter.
    If I cannot focus at max height, then I will have to put the 50 on a single lens mount.

I don't think they make a turret for a Durst L1000.
    I'm back to single lens handling on that enlarger.
    Last edited by ac12; 02-02-2013 at 03:41 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    I bought a turret for my D-5 and have been very happy with it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ac12 View Post
    The part number on my turret is 404-867.
    Is that the thicker turret?
    That is the thinner mount turret. The thicker mount turret is the 404-866.

From KHB Photografix:

"Note: Early D-6 enlargers used an early version of the turret (Cat. #404-866) with a thicker mounting flange. The two types of turrets look alike but are not interchangeable. If your enlarger is an early D-6, we can substitute the early turret on request."

Also take a look at this KHB Photografix Omega D5/D6 Lens Mount Reference Chart.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I got the 6/32 screws, mounted the 421-056 plate with a spacer, the turret rotates with the EL-Nikkor 50 in place. Now to see if it will focus at max height. I just have to put the enlarger back together again :-(
    The plate for the 80mm lens arrived and is now on the turret.
    The only lens plate left to get is the plate for the 150mm lens.
    A single lens mount is on the way for whichever lens does not stay on the turret, the 50 or the 150.

I'm watching for either an EL-Nikkor 105mm or a Componon-S 100mm for 6x9, or as an alternate for 6x6.

Hey Matt
    There are 2 of the 63mm lenses on eBay; opening bid on one $75, $99 on the other.
    I'm curious, what is the reason that you want the 63mm lens?
    Last edited by ac12; 02-02-2013 at 07:29 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey Matt
    There are 2 of the 63mm lenses on eBay; opening bid on one $75, $99 on the other.
    I'm curious, what is the reason that you want the 63mm lens?
    The D6/D5XL is a bit "challenged" by 50mm lenses - the bellows needs to be completely compressed in order to focus when you are doing a moderately large enlargement of a 35mm negative.

Normally, I use the Omega masking accessory with my D6, but when I am enlarging from a 35mm negative, I have to remove it in order to permit the 50mm lens to be closer to the negative

So a slightly longer focal length would be good.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    On the D5, when I change formats, besides the lens, I have to adjust the position/height of the lens carrier, so why not just swap lens boards at that time? I can see this if I was still in school where the guy printing would have to print from various sizes of film. But at home things are more stable, I am printing usually from just 1 film size. And I've never used a lens turret before, so I have no practical experience to compare it with a single lens setup.
    I'm about to pick up a second enlarger for less than $40. If you have the space you may be able to just get another enlarger and use that for one format and the other for a different format. Then everything is set up when you turn the thing on. No adjustments of any type needed. I thought I was kind of sick in the head for thinking of getting another enlarger just for that but in the "how many enlargers do you have" thread quite a few people seem to have the same sickness.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I do have a MF Omega.
    I was contemplating using the MF for 35mm and 6x6, and the D5 for 6x9 and 4x5.
    But I am not sure that I will have the space to set up both enlarger when the darkroom gets built. I had not planned on multiple enlargers, so construction plans will have to change.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin