Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,872   Posts: 1,583,486   Online: 1049

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Shooter
    35mm
    There is a difference in the look of enlarging lenses. Most people don't look,or under the wrong light, or are not sensitive. My 50mm Componon-S gives a Christian world-view, while that of my 50mm 2.8 nikkor-n is Buddist.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So, chip, what view, do you 'spose, a Meopta would render?

Shooter
    35mm
    It's a lot like a Rodagon (my Meogon S)-beautiful grays, but more neutral in tone, like a nikkor, w/out the royal purple tone of the Rodagon. Too worldly for me.

Shooter
    35mm
    I mean the Rodagon is too worldly for me. I have to do more printing w/ the Meopta.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The componon 100 is a slightly better lens from what i've heard but nikkor glass has always been amazingly IMO. I'd go with the nikon because the difference is minuscule, and the nikon is probably a little cheaper and more plentiful. Also 100/105mm is kind of focal length over kill(not that that is a bad thing) but an 80/90mm would cover 6x7 no problem.

Shooter
    35mm
    Dear Old n Feeble--that's me too1 Leg, knee, and ankle problems have kept me out of the darkroom for over a year and a half. First up when I get back to it is printing w/Meogon S. I can say from what I have that it is the most neutral look I have ever seen from among my many tested lenses (20+).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    There's a reason even used apo's sell for a premium and get snatched up fast. You web junkies can form
    an opinion any way you wish.
    Web junkies?! I would think a "web junkie" would be someone who makes an expensive purchase based on the opinion of one poster while ignoring all the other posters who are saying the exact opposite and a published report. This very forum is littered with posts from numerous people that are somewhat cool on the whole APO thing. Should we ignore them in favor of you? If so why?

And it isn't marketing hype ... never was.
    How can anyone be so emphatic that "APO" was NEVER used as a marketing tool?! I have seen amazing Zeiss surgical scopes. I can only imagine how much they cost. I've seen neurosurgery done with them. I personally own some Zeiss lenses for my medium format camera. I find them to be acceptably sharp. My camera phone has a Zeiss lens on it... I believe Zeiss engages in marketing hype sometimes.

The other thing is that many apo lens designs had
    well-known industrial and graphics applications all along, that ordinary photographers simply aren't aware of. And they're still being made for high-end industrial applications, though often in fixed aperture.
    I am not sure what this has to do with us buying 50mm and 80mm enlarger lenses. I'm sure there are fine products with APO stamped on them in use all over the planet. That does not mean "APO"=substantially better 100% of the time. You should read page 81 of the e-book that was posted. The author doesn't sound like he is talking out of his rear end.

Quote Originally Posted by Ctein
    In fact, apo lenses suffered as badly from longitudinal color as non-apo ones. The sole exception is the now-discontinued Apo El-Nikkor, which is a true apochromat. If you need the ultimate in color correction, this lens provides it, but it costs thousands of dollars, assuming you can find one!
    If you want high-quality relatively affordably, Apo Nikkors are quite common, and will
    beat the pants off most ordinary enlarging lenses, if you can work at f/11 with relatively large film.
    Mighty big "if," DREW. Most of us don't shoot large format film. We just want a way to make prints from the 35mm and medium format negatives we already own. I am not discounting what you are saying. I'm just really not sure how applicable a lot of that is to the average hobbyist. Photography is not my vocation. I set up a basic B&W darkroom with two enlargers for about $250... including mint modern large aperture Nikkor and Componon-S lenses. The recession is over but money is still tight. Spending $250 to set up a darkroom was a luxury. Spending substantially more on a single lens ain't gonna happen any time soon.

I appreciate you posting and it makes me want to check out APO lenses for myself at some stage but not right now.

Shooter
    35mm
    Does anyone know if Beseler HD lenses are rebranded APO=Rodagons? I sw a 50mm 2.8 advertised as such on E-bay.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin