Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,482,055   Online: 846

Shooter
    Medium Format

How to change a De vere counterbalance spring?

My first post here and I'm afraid it's a plea for help.

Does anyone have any experience of changing, or at least removing, a counterbalance spring from a devere 504 or 5108? Or perhaps a copy of the service manual of either to consult?

I have converted my bench 504 to a 5108 using my recently acquired floor standing 10x8 and all is well so far but it's obvious that it needs to have the correct spring in the column to work as it should. It's not clear to me at the moment how I should proceed though. Anyone have any ideas before I take them to bits again?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why is it obvious? Is it sticking, not moving, cracked or stripped spring metal?

Maybe a picture of the offending bit or section of the unit may help.

With a picture to look at, many of us with a De Vere free standing enlarger may be able to look at their machine to see any obvious difference.

From memory, and I mean about 30 odd years ago, the springs do crack and/or tear and are a bit of a bitch to replace if you do things the wrong way.

Where in the world are you? You never know just who is possibly next door.

Mick.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well, it's obvious because the spring in a 504 is smaller than the double spring in a 5108 as the 5108 head is much heavier... so the 108 head doesn't run up and down smoothly now. Well, it runs down smoothly. So they need to be swapped. I'm just trying to find out the right way before I get in a muddle doing it the wrong way.

I'm in England, near London, and have asked on FADU as well, and also emailed odyssey to see if they can help.

I can certainly put up some snaps. I'll try over the weekend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would be very careful. Springs have a lot of built up force.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin