Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,963   Posts: 1,558,383   Online: 764

Shooter
    Multi Format

Double voltage stabilization.

I have a Chromegatrol which is internally stabilized. I have also stumbled across a voltage stabilizer from the older Dichro supply. I strongly suspect the answer is, "no" but might there be any advantage or disadvantage to doubling the stabilization? The external one plugs between the supply and head, so I assume that I a conventional DC regulator, in which case I assume it would be redundant. Any thoughts?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Do NOT do it.
    Use one or the other, NOT both.

The reason for using a stand-alone stabilizer is if you want to plug in your own timer, and not use the timer in the Chromegatrol.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks, ac.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ac12 View Post
    Do NOT do it.
    Use one or the other, NOT both...
    ac12,

Just curious, but can you explain why the Chromegatrol would be adversely affected by being fed with a stabilized power supply? I would think that it would be redundant and superfluous, but I can't see how the Chromegatrol would be damaged... Please enlighten me.

thanks

Doremus

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It won't cause any damage but as long as both are working properly, it won't do anything of any value either.

A bit like having two switches in series. Either one will turn it off but the second one will not make it more off.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rice View Post
    I have a Chromegatrol which is internally stabilized. I have also stumbled across a voltage stabilizer from the older Dichro supply. I strongly suspect the answer is, "no" but might there be any advantage or disadvantage to doubling the stabilization? The external one plugs between the supply and head, so I assume that I a conventional DC regulator, in which case I assume it would be redundant. Any thoughts?
    Do you mean this unit. I'd not use that with the Chromegatrol: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pi_16577.jpeg 
Views:	14 
Size:	10.1 KB 
ID:	63866

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's the one and note it goes on the output of the supply.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    One problem is the cable connectors.
    The output connector on my Chromegatrol is a multipin connector.
    I don't know what connector is on the input of that stand-alone stabilizer.

Another problem is matching correct input and output voltages. If the OP voltage of the Chromegatrol is 12 volt DC to the lamps, and the input for the standalone is 110v AC, they won't play together.
    IOW do you stabilize the voltage before or after you convert 110v AC line to working voltage for the head.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The input and output connectors are the same six pin Jones connectors used on the Chromegatrol and Dichro heads.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin