Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,836   Posts: 1,582,424   Online: 722

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Metal beer bottles to store film developer?

Today I noticed that C**rs beer comes in screw-top metal bottles, so it occurred to me that I could possibly use them to store developer after disposing of the original contents (!). They're opaque to light, must be impervious to air passing through them, can be screwed tight shut -- what's not to like? Plus they old around 470 ml, which is a pretty useful amount (I wonder if this stuff comes in metal quart bottles?). And you'd have rapid heat transfer if you needed to heat or cool the solution. I'm only wondering how the bottle itself, or any sort of food-safe inner liner, might react to the chemicals in a developer.

If I were in a college town, I could go dumpster diving behind a frat house and be set for life with these things.

Anyone got any thoughts on the viability of using these to store chems?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    i'd be careful if it is aluminum
    it will plate out silver and plate in aluminum

plastic or glass seems to be best ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ...or any sort of food-safe inner liner...
    I seem to remember that some or most beer cans (Aluminum containers), are inner coated.
    I'd stick with jnanian's suggestion - plastic or glass.
    For heating, water bath is preferred, rather then directly heating the vessel.

Marc
    Last edited by Marc B.; 02-13-2013 at 09:53 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc B. View Post
    I seem to remember that some or most beer cans (Aluminum containers), are inner coated.
    I'd stick with jnanian's suggestion - plastic or glass.
    For heating, water bath is preferred, rather then directly heating the vessel.

Marc
    And if you do this with glass vessels, make sure they are not tightly closed, so that when the liquid expands (due to the increased temperature), the glass shatters and the contents go everywhere. Ask me how I know this.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Trask View Post
    Today I noticed that C**rs beer comes in screw-top metal bottles, so it occurred to me that I could possibly use them to store developer after disposing of the original contents (!).
    Before disposing of the contents, I'd check with the local authorities to make sure it isn't classed as hazardous waste

Glass bottles are pretty much the norm for storing chemicals in, and they can often be purchased from a dispensing chemist for a pittance.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Storing chemicals in something like beer bottles is asking for trouble next time Uncle Phil (you know, the one with the bad eyesight?) comes over. Keep Poison Control phone number handy. :-)
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I'd first check with one of the local college fraternities and ask what kind of cheap rotgut they drink,
    because those containers would probably handle anything corrosive or otherwise abominable. But seriously ... those can are lined with something specific; and it might not get along with your darkroom
    chemistry. If it does all go bad, just sell it to the frats.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If I really wanted metal to allow fast heat transfer, I'll look at the stainless steel water bottles. Not free, but at least you don't have to drink bad beer to get them.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Multi Format

When I mix up a batch of XTOL I put it in 12oz and 16oz beer bottles and then cap it with a capper left over from my home brewing days. I fill them up to the top and then cap them. I haven't had a problem yet and with the small amount of air in the top, the developer seems to last a good long time. I may start doing this with dektol next.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    What will Dektol do to the fermentation of the hops?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin