Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,231   Posts: 1,532,889   Online: 1000

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF

Recommend me an enlarger.

Can someone recommend me an enlarger that fits the following criteria.

Small and compact - I'm low on space.
    Ease of use - something not complicated to get the hang of
    Cheap - not too expensive reliable with available spares or robust/reliable

Format 35 mm with option to print larger.

I like the look of the leica focomat with autofocus but it only does 35 mm

Thanks in advance.

Oh and I'm in the UK.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    Last edited by poppers; 02-13-2013 at 04:58 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Durst Graduate.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'm very happy with meopta 5, it comes in case (if the owner kept it) so it's easy to store.

Shooter
    35mm
    The words cheap and Leica Focomat 35 tend to be mutually exclusive. It is probably one of the most expensive 35mm enlargers. Some would say its the Rolls Royce of 35mm enlargers

The Durst range might meet your specifications. In my experience the M605 might meet your requirements. It is a fairly robust enlarger, covers up to 6x6 negs and comes with a dichroic head for colour work which might be useful.

It might help us of you specify your price range and to our N American contributors can I say that Beselers are fairly rare here in the U.K. and the OP is U.K. based.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm

Recommend me an enlarger.

Leica focomat v35 is actually quite a big enlarger. The base is huge and the head rises quite a height at max enlargement. The Durst M601 is quite compact with capacity to 6x6. M605 and M670 can do 6x7, but column may be higher than 601. Parts for all these should be quite easy to locate (2nd hand). Leitz Valoy II can be found quite cheaply and is compact and high quality. It only does 35mm or smaller. If you have room for the Leitz v35, and only want to do 35mm, it is a superb enlarger. I hope you find something suitable. Alex

Shooter
    35mm
    LPL 6700 still a current model and spares (if they are ever needed) are readily available The bulb is a standard type used in most enlargers. Available to take 35mm up to 6x6 with the appropriate carrier. With 35mm film a 5mm lens will give you over a 16x12 print. I use one and I am more than happy with it.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    +1 for the LPL 6700. I have the 7700 model and love it!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Wouldn't recommend a Focomat to a new user - The early models used a lamp that is now obsolete and as rare as the proverbial rocking horse dung. It is not easy to identify the early models unless you know what questions to ask (particularly if you buy from ebay).

I'd suggest either a small Durst (600 or 800 series) or the LPL C7700.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like my Omega C700.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In the US, I would recommend either Omega C (6x7) or B (6x6) series, or similar 6x7 Bessler enlarger.

In the UK, I don't know the availability of those enlargers. I would recommend a Durst M60x or even the F60. My M600 stores away in a nice size box, about half the size of the box for the Omega C67. BUT, Durst is out of the enlarger business, so spares have to come off the secondary (eBay) market. Having said that, my M600 has been totally reliable since 1971, only having to replace the lamp. It probably helps reliability that I have the simple B&W condenser head, not the more complicated color head. If you get a Durst, you want to have ALL the parts when you start out. Hunting for missing parts is difficult, time consuming and expensive.

If you want reliability, I would go with a condenser enlarger. That eliminates the complication and potential problem with the color head or power supply, especially if you are not going to print color anyway. You would just use multi-contrast filters for Multi-Contrast paper, which is not difficult to use. The color head would give you the ability to "dial in" the filter for Multi-Contrast paper, more convenient than the MC filters, but at the cost of the color head.

gud luk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin