Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,694   Online: 1171

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Componon-S 5,6 80 vs 100?

I have two enlarger lenses for 120 film. I want to keep only one. I have a Componon-S 5,6/80 and a Componon-S 5,6/100.
    I will use them with 6x6 negatives and, as far as I can tell now, my prints won't exceed 50x60 cm (20x24").

Which one will fit the bill better for me? Is there a difference in optical quality between them? Thanks for your input!
    Last edited by Contrastique; 02-13-2013 at 05:53 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you do only 6x6, then the 80mm will have good coverage of the negative. The 100mm would be necessary to cover 6x9. For 6x6, the 80mm will give you a larger maximum print size than the 100mm.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thank you jk0592. I also wonder if there's an optical quality difference between the two?

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've used both and found the 100mm slightly sharper and so I sold the 80mm. BUT, for my enlarger the 100mm isn't wide enough for 16x20, so I bought a Rodenstock APO 80/4 (Non-N) and love it. Super sharp. I recommend an 80mm APO lens if you're enlarging to 20x24. They're rather cheap now. I got mine for $200.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Well, the 80 sounds like the way to go then. I might jump the bullet on an APO in the future, but definitely not on my priority list for now. I just saw an APO-N lens on Tha Bay, darn, that has a perky price tag to it ($595) ;-) It's nice to have f4 for focusing although the lenses I've used so far are all f5,6. Thanks for the comments!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Contrastique View Post
    ... It's nice to have f4 for focusing although the lenses I've used so far are all f5,6. Thanks for the comments!
    Even so, you need to stop it down to about F8 for optimum image quality with 6x7, so the F4 aperture is rather trivial IMHO. I have the 80/4 APO-Rodagon-N. It's a nice lens.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jjphoto View Post
    Even so, you need to stop it down to about F8 for optimum image quality with 6x7, so the F4 aperture is rather trivial IMHO. I have the 80/4 APO-Rodagon-N. It's a nice lens.
    I know but for focusing you have a bit more light to go on than with a max aperture of 5,6. Thanks for the comment on the APO version..I feel tempted but I was actually looking to sell things this time, not to buy ;-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have both lenses and much prefer the 80mm for 6x6 negatives, I keep the 100mm for 6x9.

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks Ian.

The Componon-S 100 is up for sale in case anyone is interested:
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum379/...ml#post1461806

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin