Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,932   Posts: 1,522,193   Online: 1098

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Needing to enlarge up to 24x24

I'm totally new to darkroom printing, and would like to print at about 24x24. Can anyone tell me what kind of enlarger and other equipment I would need please?? Thank you!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Well, an 8x10 enlarger and a room to put it in (based on your profile) ...

However, you have really not given us enough information. What format? 8x10? Types of film and paper do you wish to use? Where are you? (makes a difference)

Even so, this is not really something that can be answered adequately in a a forum response (In my opinion) Start by reading some of the basics:

Darkroom design for beginners
    http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...bs/ak3/ak3.pdf

Making Your First Black and White Print
    http://www.ilfordphoto.com/Webfiles/...1321242292.pdf

Ask some more specific questions and we'll try to help.
    David
    Taking pictures is easy. Making photographs is hard.

http://www.behance.net/silverdarkroom
    http://silverdarkroom.wordpress.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Hi, thank you. I'm from central FL and wanting to make prints from 120mm 6x6 format.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Most of the large format enlargers will do 24x24 on the baseboard, and most of the medium format enlargers have reversable heads that allow you to place weights on the baseboard and then project to a lower table or the floor.

24" prints are a real challenge for someone with considerable experience in the darkroom. For someone brand new to the dark arts, it may be overwhelming. Just getting trays that large will be expensive, not to mention paper. You'll quickly learn just how much paper goes straight from the fixer and into the trash!

The fact is, very little of anyone's work is worth a 24" print, at least on the first go around. It's much more practical to make 11x14 prints, live with them for a while, see what sticks with you and becomes part of a larger body of work, and then make big prints.
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you are new to darkroom, I'd advise against going THAT big. Please realize, you will be dealing with a WET PAPER that cannot absolutely be bent, creased, bumped, poked, or otherwise do anything that will mar the surface. It starts to be challenging at around 11x14, get harder at 16x20, and absolutely a nightmare at the size you want. Fiber paper is nearly impossible without extensive experience. RC may be possible.

Where are you in central Florida? I'm near Orlando. If you want to experience doing 16x20 RC, you can come over and you can try it yourself, if you like.

As to enlarger, most commonly available ones will require you to "flip" the unit and project it on the floor at that size. You'll also need some GIANT trays which aren't cheap. You are literally talking about taking it outside and hosing it down to wash!
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I get nervous with 8x10's.... But I've only been doing it for 3 months....
    Go to the light......

www.keepsakephotography.us

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey, its OK to plan for the long term. Twenty-five years ago, I was where you are right now and I did some research. I thought that I might eventually like to print 16x20. I bought an enlarger that would print that big on the base board. A big easel is very expensive. Large trays are expensive. Frames can be expensive. Paper is expensive. Good luck.
    Dave

"She's always out making pictures, She's always out making scenes.
    She's always out the window, When it comes to making Dreams.

It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up."

From It's All Mixed Up by The Cars

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I haven't printed anything larger than 11x14 for many years. I used to send out to a custom printer anything over 16x20 as it was more cost effective for me. The space required for a DR to handle those massive prints just isn't gonna happen for me any time soon.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Its expensive, easier to do with extra large trays. I have 4 to accommodate that size. I only used them a couple of times. Normally, the largest I print would be 16x20. Good Luck.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This person has a single tray method for large prints: http://www.heylloyd.com/technicl/single.htm
    I've never tried it but something to think about if space and tray costs are a problem.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin