Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,844   Posts: 1,582,662   Online: 1089

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

So what do I need to print sheet film?

It seems my "hunter-gatherer" instincts are running amok these days and I keep getting a hold of large format equipment, now I'm about to have a second 9X12 camera, this time with a functioning film holder and maybe even some extra film (already got a pack of 200 ISO Europan). So if the equipment is in order I just might be able to shoot some large format in not too long a time.

Only question remains, what do I do to get a real print out of it?

It seems like there's no good lab in all of Scandinavia for high quality prints, and I'm not sure if I can settle for just the contact prints if I get any good images out of it.

So I'll go ahead and ask that silly question that's probably been asked so many times before - what do I need for print here? Are there special enlargers for large format?

I've seen in movies and documentaries about Ansel Adams that enlargers back in the day were often mounted horizontally and not vertically like roll film enlargers - are there possibilities of using the same enlarger if I get the right enlarger lens or what?

Sorry if I'm too rash to do my homework before I ask this question, I just thought I'd put this out there first and see what happens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yes, there are enlargers for larger films.

You could also contact print.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Top-Cat View Post
    I've seen in movies and documentaries about Ansel Adams that enlargers back in the day were often mounted horizontally and not vertically like roll film enlargers - are there possibilities of using the same enlarger if I get the right enlarger lens or what?

Sorry if I'm too rash to do my homework before I ask this question, I just thought I'd put this out there first and see what happens.
    Ansel Adams did his homework and would never use iStock.....that's about all I have to contribute to this thread...
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Top-Cat View Post
    I'm not sure if I can settle for just the contact prints...
    You should find yourself quite happy with contact prints from 9x12.

If you are like me you will be able to immediately see a depth of detail, above and beyond what can be done with any enlargement.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    Ansel Adams did his homework and would never use iStock.....that's about all I have to contribute to this thread...
    I know I'm green (as in new) on this area, but no use being surly and mean about it - and for your information, I might not have made much money on iStock, but I've gained some valuable experience, not to mention learned that I'm a decent enough composer as well as photographer to be able to sell my stuff.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    hi TC

you could have a back made for your camera that is a light source
    and then turn your camera into an enlarger ( like a graflarger back did to a speed / crown graphic ).

people have said the same thing to me about imagekind
    but i have sold a bunch and enjoyed myself, and don't have
    and elitist attitude ( and i used to part own a brick and mortar art gallery )
    if istock is what you are involved with enjoy it, the naysayers say nay about a lot of things,
    some thought the world was flat ( and still is ) as well ...

bill is a yay sayer, contact prints from your negatives will be very nice.
    look for some long expired azo and a light bulb will be your friend.
    have fun!
    john
    Last edited by jnanian; 02-18-2013 at 09:14 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    you could have a back made for your camera that is a light source
    and then turn your camera into an enlarger ( like a graflarger back did to a speed / crown graphic ).
    Great idea, I might be able to experiment with that - I was about to look for 135mm prime lenses for this - but it seemed a bit of a big project for me at the moment.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    4x5"/9x12cm enlargers and lenses are plentiful and most work just like enlargers for smaller formats, and can in fact be used for smaller formats. If you stick to a popular brand like Omega, Beseler, or Durst, you'll find lots of parts and accessories available for them.

Adams had horizontal enlargers for printing big from 8x10" negs. Don't worry about that. You don't need a horizontal enlarger for 9x12cm unless you are making murals.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    But. Using the 810 build as an example, a 45 would be a lot smaller. I suspect much less $$ since you're in Scandinavia and I keep reading there's not an abundance of LF darkroom up there.
    A simple sliding track system for gross adjustments and something like a Speed Graphic focusing bed for fine.
    Bellows are available online for not a lot of $$ and can be made to order for more $$$$.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    30 watt light bulb for regular paper or a 300 watt for azo...attach it to a pulley system so you can regulate the light..nothing fancy or complicated here...
    Best, Peter
    website down for maintenance!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin