Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,573   Posts: 1,545,660   Online: 946

Shooter
    Medium Format

Deckle edge print trimmer question.

Does anyone know where a Deckle edge print trimmer (Guillotine) may be purchased please. I do not need to trim prints larger than 4"x6". I have seen the scissors in craft shops, but the deckle is too coarse.
    With thanks,
    Sam H.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There was a thread on this recently.

I found it:
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum46/8...ells-em-2.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Does it have to be guillotine rather than rotary? I've found it reasonably easy to find deckle blades for rotary cutters.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can use something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Dahle-507K-Per...deckle+trimmer
    I've been looking for something that will do larger prints. I've used a deckle edge ruler http://www.amazon.com/Westcott-Aluminum-Tearing-Mountai n-Deckle/dp/B00161SHAM/ref=sr_1_2?s=office-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1361497167&sr=1-2&keywords=deckle+edge+ruler
    I use that wiyh a X-Acto knife, Kind of slow but gets the job done.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Multi Format

It took me quite awhile to find a vintage one but they do popup on the big auction site from time to time. Mine did not have a brand name on it but was marked made in Germany. The blades on these things are quite a manufacturing feat. I doubt you can sharpen one after heavy use as the blades on both sides are perfectly matched in the deckled pattern. Rotary is the most available option if you need it now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not all the scrapbooking ones are very coarse. There's also a handheld rotary cutter (from Fiskars) that has several blades available and one is deckle (I find it hard to go straight with it, though). Check different scrapbooking stores as well as Joanns, Michaels, ACMoore, and Hobby Lobby - they don't all carry the same stuff.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I picked up one of the guillotine-type German deckle edge cutters a while back. It was a bit dull, but I found I was able to sharpen it because the blade serrations curve in an arc.

It takes me back in time but also makes me crave single weight paper and a ferrotype drum...

Shooter
    Multi Format

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    It was a bit dull, but I found I was able to sharpen it because the blade serrations curve in an arc.
    That's good news to hear! The serrated contact points looked so closely matched I thought any attempt at sharpening when dull would make too wide of a gap between to two halves and cause ripping of the paper.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin