Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,886   Posts: 1,520,619   Online: 1055

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Where to place enlarger?

Hey this is my first post. I've spent countless time going over and the information and knowledge I've received has been invaluable!
    I'm building a darkroom and it's on its way to being complete very soon.
    My question is where should I place the enlarger? It's a Super Chromega C Dichroic on a C-67. The ceiling height is about 8-9 feet from my estimate. I was thinking of just putting it on the floor to reduce possible vibration.
    Another possibility is hooking it up to the wall. My only reservation about that is that there doesn't seem to be a concrete wall immeadietly behind the drywall, so I've been thinking it may not be well secured.
    My last possibility is putting it on a little fridge to act as a desk. I could store film and paper in here so that is a plus.
    Thanks for all your help and if you need any other information just ask!
    Nick

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Not sure if I am using the best method but mine is on a desk and I use the drawers and suck to store lens boards, lenses, and such. I always give the enlarger a few seconds to calm down before I expose the paper.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You can spend about $50 on lumber and materials at Home Depot and build a very sturdy base. Look for the Simpson Strong Tie brackets, which will make it much easier to assemble.

Be sure to make it the correct height; even a couple of hours spent stooping over a too low work table will work evil magic on your lower back.
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would just put the enlarger on a solid table. If you follow cjbecker's advice and just wait for any vibrations to calm down it should be fine for most circumstances. I personally would opt for a solid desk before using a fridge. When a fridge is on there is a little motor in it that will run and cause vibrations.

nickj, I am not sure where you live but in the US most domestic walls have a solid wood skeleton behind the sheet rock. When hanging things on the wall you should use a stud finder and nail or screw through the drywall and into a wood stud. I will sometimes hang light picture frames just into the drywall but anything else will require more substantial anchoring. It doesn't have to be bolted into concrete though.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Giving that I said I use a desk, I woul just go ahead and build a very sterdy table. Also shelves in it to hold everything.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have my Beseler 45MX sitting on a home made enlarger bench and the top of it is bolted to a stud behind the wall. Its pretty stable. If you're in a building with walls that vibrate, you might not want to do that. Don't set your enlarger on a fridge. When the compressor kicks on, you're enlager might shake.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My "darkspace" is only about 5'x6'. The enlarger sits on top of a wooden-rolling-three-drawer-filing-cabinet. It once was part of an office desk. It's handy because I can keep all the enlarger gadgets in the drawers near the enlarger.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Any stable place will do. Be aware though, you'll be working in dimly lit room, so safety is a concern.

I place mine on a sturdy conference table.

Properly constructed stud wall is sufficiently ridgid but you do have to drill into a stud, not just go into a drywall with anchor bolts....
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by nickj_101 View Post
    Hey this is my first post. I've spent countless time going over and the information and knowledge I've received has been invaluable!
    I'm building a darkroom and it's on its way to being complete very soon.
    My question is where should I place the enlarger? It's a Super Chromega C Dichroic on a C-67. The ceiling height is about 8-9 feet from my estimate. I was thinking of just putting it on the floor to reduce possible vibration.
    Another possibility is hooking it up to the wall. My only reservation about that is that there doesn't seem to be a concrete wall immeadietly behind the drywall, so I've been thinking it may not be well secured.
    My last possibility is putting it on a little fridge to act as a desk. I could store film and paper in here so that is a plus.
    Thanks for all your help and if you need any other information just ask!
    Nick
    I think you will find vibrations evident if you place it on a fridge. On the floor will be difficult for your back. The wall might be too permanent for a 'first darkroom.' How about a counter like this from Home Depot:

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Take a look at the "Sticky" threads near the top of this sub-forum where people show pics of their enlargers.

I use a very sturdy cart with the baseboard low, a moveable stand for the easel and an XL column.

Don't use a fridge - but you could use a stand with shelves (better than drawers).
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin