Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,709   Posts: 1,548,617   Online: 1105

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air Compressor

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Air Compressor

I'm thinking I might need to look at an air compressor for blowing out film holders and possibly for doing the same for negatives prior to placing in the enlarger. Any ideas on these uses? Any suggestions on specific units to consider? Bill Barber

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use a Gast for my darkroom. Nice and quiet compared to the compressors one can buy at the usual home reno stores. I run an extension hose and keep it in another room to make the darkroom even quieter

I also have some canned air I keep for the scanner.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Why not just use canned air for everything? they have refillable canned air cans.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Similar to canuhead, I have a cheap, small compressor "in another room" and run tubing to an outlet in the darkroom. Make sure to put a filter in the line and you're good to go.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Depending on your humidity situation, air/water separator may be required. Local auto paint shop folks can advise as their lively hood depends on clean dry air.

Shooter
    35mm

Air

Used air brush compressor. Small, inexpensive and quiet. Might have creative "other" uses in printing & toning/bleaching small areas.
    The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I buy six cans of compressed air, Dust-Off, Professional, The Original Compressed Gas Duxter SX", for cleaning photographic equipment and dusting off negatives. Just do not put it too close to the object to avoid by product contamination.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Harrison View Post
    Used air brush compressor. Small, inexpensive and quiet. Might have creative "other" uses in printing & toning/bleaching small areas.
    How's the air pressure on those things?

I used to use Dust-Off XL for everything, including DSLR sensor cleaning, but recently bought myself a Hurricane canless air system because I was weary of contamination from Dust-Off, and also figured it's less of a hazard, not to mention more economic in the long run.

The thing is, the hurricane is (1) friggin' LOUD, so loud as making me hesitate to use it at night, and (2) partly due to the large diameter of the ejection tube, I don't the kind of quick bursts of high pressure like I do with Dust-Off… it's like a small hair dryer or something, ya know?

I want somthing that marries those two--clean, residue free, air-only high pressure rechargeable system. I'm hoping air brush compressors are the answer.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    For the small amount of air you need, a hand (or foot) operated bellows would probably be enough.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rawhead View Post
    How's the air pressure on those things?

I used to use Dust-Off XL for everything, including DSLR sensor cleaning, but recently bought myself a Hurricane canless air system because I was weary of contamination from Dust-Off, and also figured it's less of a hazard, not to mention more economic in the long run.

The thing is, the hurricane is (1) friggin' LOUD, so loud as making me hesitate to use it at night, and (2) partly due to the large diameter of the ejection tube, I don't the kind of quick bursts of high pressure like I do with Dust-Off… it's like a small hair dryer or something, ya know?

I want somthing that marries those two--clean, residue free, air-only high pressure rechargeable system. I'm hoping air brush compressors are the answer.

http://www.farmandfleet.com/products...Q#.USpF3aVths4

perhaps? it's just a tank for air, fill it with your compresser and it'll last a while
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin