Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,971   Posts: 1,558,625   Online: 1016

Shooter
    35mm

Beseler HD lenses really APO-Rodagons?

I saw a 50mm 2.8 Besler HD lens described on E-Bay as an APO-Rodagon. Does anyone Know anything about this? I have 50 & 80 Rodagons and HDs; the HDs cost considerably more. I made a handful of prints (8x10) with the 50 HD a long time ago, and I did notice that it was unusally sharp.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have both a Beseler HD and Rodenstock Rodagon. The Beseler is physically identical to the standard Rodagon, just re-badged. AFAIK, it is not an APO Rodagon.
    -Fred

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Fred's depiction is also how I remember this to be. They were the 6 element Rodagons which are good, solid optics, generally. I have both the Rodagon and the APO and the APO shows a slight advantage at more extreme enlargements. Because they perform best close to wide open, they require a well-aligned enlarger to perform best with little forgiveness covered up by smaller ƒ stops..
    Craig Schroeder

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks, guys. But I still keep wonering why a rebadged lens cost more than the oringinal?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    The best Beseler lenses were some of the Color Pros, rebadged Computar DL lenses. Not all of the Color Pros were Computar lenses though. The ones that were had a blue coating.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Not to be confused with a beslar POS enlarging lens...
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Were the Beseler HD's Apo Rodagons or Apo Gerogons? I heard that the Beseler 8x10 lenses were Apo Gerogons. In fact, I believe that Bob Soloman told me that a few years ago.

The Apo Rodagons are Rodenstock's flagship enlarging lenses. In the same way that they don't repackage the Apo-Sironar-S lenses as 3rd party, I doubt that they would repackage the Apo Rodagons as 3rd party.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks. Ithink Rodenstock did rebadge some high-quality optics under the Calumet name.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin