Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,052   Posts: 1,561,192   Online: 933

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    I've used the Durst F60 for 35mm and 645. It is small and light and easy to take apart. It can do 6x6 if you have the right condenser.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    The most portable enlarger I have ever seen is the Durst Magico. I actually have one that I bought on a whim and it is decently well built. It only takes a few seconds to set up and stows in a box. The enlarger clamps onto the end of a table or counter and the baseboard moves up and down along the column.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Keep in mind the Omega C-700 is a current production machine and parts are plentiful. The Dursts have been out of production and are scarce as well as parts being nearly impossible to obtain.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    re Durst
    Get ALL the parts when you get the enlarger.
    Because Durst is out of the enlarger business, you are completely dependent on the secondary/used market for parts.
    I'm still gathering missing parts for my L1000, and that has taken a LOT of time, effort and extra cost. And yes some parts are VERY VERY difficult to find, and EXPENSIVE when you do find it.
    You will pay a premium for individual parts vs. getting it all with the enlarger. ESPECIALLY the condenser lenses. There are guys out there taking these enlargers apart to sell the pieces individually. If you are not careful, you can easily double or triple the cost of the enlarger when you have to replace missing parts.

This also applies to Omegas and Besslers, but to a much lesser degree.

If you are not buying new, get the enlarger as complete as you can, to minimize the cost of replacing missing parts.
    The cost of replacement parts could turn what you thought was a great deal into a BUST.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ac12 View Post
    re Durst
    Get ALL the parts when you get the enlarger.
    Because Durst is out of the enlarger business, you are completely dependent on the secondary/used market for parts.
    I'm still gathering missing parts for my L1000, and that has taken a LOT of time, effort and extra cost. And yes some parts are VERY VERY difficult to find, and EXPENSIVE when you do find it.
    You will pay a premium for individual parts vs. getting it all with the enlarger. ESPECIALLY the condenser lenses. There are guys out there taking these enlargers apart to sell the pieces individually. If you are not careful, you can easily double or triple the cost of the enlarger when you have to replace missing parts.

This also applies to Omegas and Besslers, but to a much lesser degree.

If you are not buying new, get the enlarger as complete as you can, to minimize the cost of replacing missing parts.
    The cost of replacement parts could turn what you thought was a great deal into a BUST.
    There are a lot fewer Durst enlargers here in North America then there are Omega and Beseler units.

In Europe, it is the other way around.

To the OP: Take a close look at the storage space you have available. If you have something like a closet available, you can put a fairly large enlarger on a cart, and roll it back and forth.

Here is a shot of my Beseler 67C with a dichroic head and an XL column rolled into our bathroom on its cart.

My Omega D6 on its cart? It needs a bigger closet .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Beseler dichro 67_0028b.JPG  
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Matt
    A friend of mine uses a microwave cart for the same enlarger, but w the B&W head.
    Her supplies (trays, etc) are stored in the bottom of the microwave cart.
    When not in use she keeps it tucked into the corner of the family room.
    Makes for a nice portable setup.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you VERY much everyone for the suggestions!!!

In regards to the Opemus enlargers, I was able to find some available and they look right in line with what I am after, but as everyone mentioned in regards to Durst parts, I imagine parts for the Opemus would be even harder to find in the US.

I had looked at some smaller Durst units as those seemed right up my alley. They were actually what I had started looking at before posting this thread. The C700 looks like a good possibility as well.

Basically as far as storage space goes, we are out of closet space. The building is slab construction, so no basement out small attic space is full. Ideally I would love something that could be broken down to fit into one of those under the bed bins. Any thoughts on the Durst M301? That thing looks tiny and easy to break down.
    flickr

"A good photograph is one that makes the viewer so aware of the subject that they are unaware of the print."- Kodak
    "...if you find afterwards that you made a mistake, the price of the film and chemicals was...tuition!" - greybeard
    "The hard part isn’t the decisive moment or anything like that – it’s getting the film on the reel!" - John Szarkowski

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Depends on how high your bed is off the floor.
    If possible you want to reuse the original packing box as that will pack things in almost the smallest space. But the box might be taller than the space under your bed. Due to size, the vertical column and the baseboard may have to stay out of the under-bed box, but everything else should fit. It will all depend on the size/dimensions of the under-bed box.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    No love for the Beseler Printmaker 35? There's plenty of them out there, and they use the same lens boards and many parts from the larger 67. I have one in my attic and it was my main studio enlarger in the 90's when I sometimes had to do quick contact sheets or small prints. it'll do up to 11x14 from 35mm out of the box.

You can upgrade it to 6x6 or 6x7 with a condenser & lens board kit - and you'd want a larger lens.

The Beseler 67 (the one with the single column) is a bit bigger but a very sturdy enlarger and is what I use today for up to 20x24 (I mounted it on a 10" box to go that large though). It's still decently compact as enlargers go, and there are plenty of them on the used market.

If you score a deal on a beseler (or any of the other suggestions) check back here for lens recommendations. You can score a Nikkor EL for $30-$50 if you shop around.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks again for the info

M Carter, I'll have a look at the Printmaker 35. While the more money I can save on this the better, as is always the case, I don't mind spending a couple extra $$$ to get something that will fit the bill better. I've heard good things about the El Nikkors, but I really liked the Rodagons I had in my old darkroom and will likely search out another one of those.

This all gives me a good idea of things to keep an eye out for. Time to start shopping around and see what I can come up with

Thanks again APUG!
    flickr

"A good photograph is one that makes the viewer so aware of the subject that they are unaware of the print."- Kodak
    "...if you find afterwards that you made a mistake, the price of the film and chemicals was...tuition!" - greybeard
    "The hard part isn’t the decisive moment or anything like that – it’s getting the film on the reel!" - John Szarkowski

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin