Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,701   Posts: 1,548,419   Online: 1045

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just got an Omega C-700 in another crazy cheap E-bay lot, (I'm done, I swear) Compared to the B-66 and the B-22XL it's tiny, and very light. (But seems very well made.) It looks like it would be hard to screw up, impossible to kill and easy to use. No lens board to loose, just back the lens out of the focus mech and replace it with anything in an L39 mount.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Xia_Ke View Post
    Thank you VERY much everyone for the suggestions!!!

In regards to the Opemus enlargers, I was able to find some available and they look right in line with what I am after, but as everyone mentioned in regards to Durst parts, I imagine parts for the Opemus would be even harder to find in the US.

I had looked at some smaller Durst units as those seemed right up my alley. They were actually what I had started looking at before posting this thread. The C700 looks like a good possibility as well.

Basically as far as storage space goes, we are out of closet space. The building is slab construction, so no basement out small attic space is full. Ideally I would love something that could be broken down to fit into one of those under the bed bins. Any thoughts on the Durst M301? That thing looks tiny and easy to break down.
    My experience with the Durst is very many years old, but it seemed well constructed (at least to me) at the time. I had a M300 and a 606 back when there were camera shops everywhere but you had to dodge dinosaurs to get there.

Certainly as "hardy" as, for example, an Omega B-22. The Durst would be my first choice if compactness was key. As long as you have the lensboards and negative holders you need, and assuming bulbs are available, I wouldn't worry about spare parts. There really isn't much to go wrong. If and when that day comes, you look for another enlarger. If that plays 2nd fiddle to availability then it's one of the many Omegas (but won't be as compact. The 6x6 Durst's aren't that much larger than the M301 (as I recall).

I vaguely remember issues with printing up to (or maybe past) 11x14. So, if that's an issue for you, you might want to consider a 40mm wide angle enlarging lens.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I used a Durst 600 in my early bathroom darkroom, and it worked fine.

If you can find a functioning enlarger, I don't think that parts are a problem. They don't tend to break. It's important to find one for which lightbulbs are available.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Recommendations for a compact enlarger?

Hard to beat are the Minolta Rokkor enlarging lenses. If you can find one.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Hard to beat are the Minolta Rokkor enlarging lenses. If you can find one.
    Are they six element types? How do they stack up against the German lenses? Because of their relative obscurity the prices online seem to match the rodagons and componons. I never had a chance to handle one but I know rokkor camera lenses are great.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I don't know how many lens elements they have. But they make some fine looking 16x20 prints.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have an 80mm Rokkor that came with my enlarger. I've not tried it head to head with German lenses, but did a test between it and my 135 El-Nikkor the other day (at the same magnification), and there is no discernible difference, if that helps.
    Haven't counted the elements, but I think it's supposed to be a 6 element lens.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    If you are looking to only enlarge -135 a Leitz Valoy 2 is the ticket. Mostly good for 8x10s and smaller. Not an issue to break the Valoy down each DR session.
    RJ

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin