Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,768   Posts: 1,484,203   Online: 861

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Recommendations for a compact enlarger?

So it has been almost a year and a half since I have been in a darkroom, which I sold off before moving. Before I found APUG and learned to print, neg scans used to be just fine with me, but you all have ruined me for life! I hope you are proud of yourselves...lol All joking aside, I need to get some sort of bathroom darkroom together again. My bathroom is plenty big enough to convert when I want to print. My problem is that we live in a townhouse and storage space is at a premium. Leaving it set-up is not an option, so everything will need to be broken down in-between printing sessions and stored away. I need some recommendations for a small, sturdy enlarger. I'm realistic and know I won't be able to get a 4x5 enlarger and that I won't be printing 20x24. This will be for printing 35mm and 6x6 negs at either 5x7 or 8x10. Any thoughts on a compact enlarger that can be easily broken down and stored away?
    flickr

"A good photograph is one that makes the viewer so aware of the subject that they are unaware of the print."- Kodak
    "...if you find afterwards that you made a mistake, the price of the film and chemicals was...tuition!" - greybeard
    "The hard part isnít the decisive moment or anything like that Ė itís getting the film on the reel!" - John Szarkowski

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you only needed an enlarger for 35mm something like Durst F30 could be an option. Very small and light.
    Since you also want 6x6 you need something bigger. Long ago I used an Opemus (5 or 6 but I can't remember exactly) that was very easy to dismatle for storage, but I suppose any enlarger which is easy to take apart will be a good choice. You only need to be able to separate the base from the column and it will be fairly easy to store.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Jesper,

Thank you for the recommendation. I'm actually shooting about 80% 35mm and the majority of my 6x6 is slide film. The ability to print 6x6 would be nice, but if it means keeping the peace at home, I can stick with just printing 35mm for now. I'm just really missing the creative outlet of a darkroom.

Aaron
    flickr

"A good photograph is one that makes the viewer so aware of the subject that they are unaware of the print."- Kodak
    "...if you find afterwards that you made a mistake, the price of the film and chemicals was...tuition!" - greybeard
    "The hard part isnít the decisive moment or anything like that Ė itís getting the film on the reel!" - John Szarkowski

Shooter
    35mm
    I would have suggested an Opemus 5 as well, but I don't think very many of them made it across the Atlantic to the USA. Probably the OP will be better off looking for one of the american brands that we don't see over here much.

Shooter
    35mm
    I used an Omega C700 for quite a while. It will handle both 35mm and 2/14 x 21/4 as well. It is very easy to take apart and yet is sturdy when set up. I bought mine new and it came in a neat carton to store it . I enlarged up to 11 x 14

Howard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use a c700 too. good small machine. You can get a used one for astoundingly little money. Mine was $4.00 at a thrift store. They are frequently 20-50 on that auction site.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Look for a Durst M600.
    And the key...you also want the original BOX. I have a M600 and it packs well between sessions.
    Setting up and breaking down the enlarger is not difficult. It is like it was designed to be taken down between sessions.

I know you can do 11x14 with the M600, I did.
    I do not know if you can do 16x20 w/o rotating the head to do a wall projection, or rotate the column and project onto the floor. The M600 can do both of these, so you can print BIG...if you want to.

I do not have experience with the other medium format Durst enlargers like the M601 and M605. But I would guess that they would also be able to be broken down and stored like the M600.

I also have in storage a couple of Omega C series enlargers. Setting up the girder on the baseboard is much more difficult than the Durst. And the box is much longer than the Durst. Although you can stand it on end in the closet to get it out of the way.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you can find a Minolta they are super nice to work with, especially with the dichroic head.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    If you can find a Minolta they are super nice to work with, especially with the dichroic head.
    Ditto the above comments. My Minolta III is great. I picked-up various bits and pieces at 3 different camera stores probably not long after Minolta discontinued its manufacture and I now have an almost complete setup. Howard Tanger

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin