Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,328   Posts: 1,537,129   Online: 866

Ilford 500H head bulb replacement

Hi All, one of the bulbs is out on my 500H. Of course, right after I mixed chemicals to print I pulled the bulb and it's a 300watt. Anyone know of where I can get one and what to ask for?

Thanks,
    Echard

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Hi -

You can get them on eBay - I believe the model number is ELC or ELH. They're about $10.

Shooter
    35mm
    And of course, buy more than one

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just for two from here:

Replacementlightbulbs.com

ELH bulbs

Great!! Thanks so much! I'll order two for sure

Shooter
    35mm Pan
    Some time ago in order to have longer exposures and reduce heating I looked to replace ELH bulbs (300W/120V) with ESD (150W/120V). ELH bulbs were way less expensive than ESD. On the end I stayed with ELHs. My favourite bulb supplier in US is: http://www.sitlersupplies.com/
    Goran

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I used both ELH and ESD. ESD are dimmer and cooler, which was good for me, but they have a vastly shorter lifespan and a much higher price. I use ELH now, and I solved the brightness issue with a layer a 0.3 ND filter in the 4x5 mixing box to keep my exposures about 20 s at f/8.

When you change to new bulbs, watch out for them having an even output, or your grades will no longer be speed-matched. You can check and correct that using the Ilford test that helps you select one of the 4 (or more for the CPM model) programmes on the 500C controller. It's not a big issue if they are not speed-matched, but if you use your 500H a lot it will make a difference in predictability of how the highlights and shadows change as you change the grades.
    Rafal Lukawiecki
    See rafal.net | Read rafal.net/articles

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin