Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,964   Online: 1063

Shooter
    35mm

uneven light (fall off) beseler enlarger produces cyan cast

While working on a different project, I decided to meter the light falling on the baseboard of my Beseler 23C-II XL Dichro Head , using my sekonik incident meter in EV mode. To my surprise, the measure in the center of the board (below the lens) is higher than on the corners, in fact, there is more fall off as you move further onto the edges of the board. The fall off is between 0.1 EV to 0.3 EV. This is the case regardless of the height of the head.
    - Is this the reason I am getting a partial and light cyan cast only in the center of the picture which only happens at longer exposures. (it doesn't at short exposures) ? Is this fall off normal , and if not, what to do to correct ?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    While the light meter detects a slight fall off, it isn't really a problem. I see more than that with a couple of my enlargers but I don't detect any differences in my prints. A tenth of a stop is virtually nothing in the grand scheme of things. Have a beer and let it go!
    -Fred

Shooter
    35mm
    Assuming the light source in your enlarger is perfectly even, still you should get light fall off because that's the nature of the lens.

Shooter
    35mm
    Sounds like cosine fourth law of illumination falloff.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Learn to edge burn. There is not an enlarger lens made that doesn't exhibit some fall off.

The cyan cast, however, is a bit of a problem... Check to make sure your dichroic filters are aligned correctly, check the lens coatings, check for internal reflections, etc.

Good luck,

Doremus

www.DoremusScudder.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't own a 23CII, but a 45MXT. Is there w away to raise and lower the head between the negative stage? Your head might be too close to your negative. If you can raise the head away from the negative stage, you might get even coverage on your negative. Prof Pix may be right also about cosine fourth law of illumination falloff. Try tilting your meter towards the lens and you might get a brighter reading. To me, it's not a big deal since I burn in light areas of prints anyway.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Falloff can indeed create a differential reciprocity effect from center to edges at long exposures. But your meter is probably not correctly measuring it (cosine). Are you printing color paper? Ideally, the diffuser in your colorhead must be matched (ground) the match the falloff on your lens itself with respect to the colorhead. Otherwise, you can try a longer lens, better diffusion, a faster lens, etc.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin