Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,296   Posts: 1,535,697   Online: 913

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Paterson vs Kaiser RC paper washer

I'm trying to decide between the two 12x16 RC paper washers:
    Paterson high speed print washer http://www.patersonphotographic.com/...-print-washers ,
    or Kaiser PE/RC print washer http://www.kaiser-fototechnik.de/en/...ge.asp?nr=4094
    Any user experince is much appreciated as I have no chance to see either in a store.

Thanks!
    Last edited by miha; 03-07-2013 at 10:42 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm open to suggestions on how to wash RC paper efficiently in 2 minutes in running water?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by miha View Post
    I'm open to suggestions on how to wash RC paper efficiently in 2 minutes in running water?
    Kodak Tray Siphon in a tray
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Kodak Tray Siphon in a tray
    Thanks. I guess it's compareable to the one in the link? http://www.fotoimpex.de/shop/images/...le_Potolav.jpg

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by miha View Post
    Thanks. I guess it's compareable to the one in the link? http://www.fotoimpex.de/shop/images/...le_Potolav.jpg
    It may very well be .

The wash times are very short for RC paper.

I wash mine by having two trays stacked one above the other. The water flows into the top tray, and then flows out through some holes I've drilled near the rim on one edge. The outflow falls into the bottom tray.

All my prints go from the fixer to my bottom wash tray. They get a fair amount of flow and agitation from the falling water. They stay there until an opportunity arises to move a single print up to the top tray where it is washed individually for at least one minute, but no more than three minutes, in the flowing water. I then take it out and move it to the drying area.

When I'm being efficient, I can do the final stage of washing at the same time as agitating a later print in the fixer, all the while waiting to turn on the light to examine the later print.

You could probably use the item you linked to instead of drilling holes in the top tray.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi,

I don't use anything specific. My RC washing is usually done with a tray under a running faucet. I print, process, and bring a tray with wet print into my bathroom. With RC, only 2 to 3 minute wash is required. So I wash it by hand and inspect the print while I'm at it. Then to a flat surface with a towel. Squeegee and inspect again.

It gives me time to really check the print before making another one.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Matt - thanks again. An interesting and efficent method you have using stacked trays!

tkamiya - I used to use the same method years ago when I started but found it to be too labour extensive.

Shooter
    35mm
    I often wonder what the overflow rate per minute has to be? In say a 1 litre tray how often does the water have to change in those 2 mins in the wash which is the minimum suggested by Ilford?

I have an upright Nova washer which when full holds about 1 litre and it can be made to flow very rapidly but I often wonder if I am wasting water. Would an overflow of 1/2 litre per min be enough so the water changed completely in 2 mins or could the overflow be much slower?

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm

Paterson vs Kaiser RC paper washer

I use the Paterson washer. It works well. It depends on print size, how many can be washed at one time. I tend to keep RC prints in a tray of water until I'm finished printing. I then give them 2 mins each in the Paterson unit. It's a simple device that works well. I don't have experience of the other type. Alex

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Muir View Post
    I use the Paterson washer. It works well. It depends on print size, how many can be washed at one time. I tend to keep RC prints in a tray of water until I'm finished printing. I then give them 2 mins each in the Paterson unit. It's a simple device that works well. I don't have experience of the other type. Alex
    Does the water flow out of the washer trough a hose or trough a series of holes?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin