Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,545,002   Online: 710

Shooter
    35mm

omega D4 negative carrier question

Hi all,

I have used an Omega D2 enlarger for over thirty years. I recently bought, and just finished restoring, a D4 autofocus enlarger and thought the D2 carriers would work on the D4. It is now apparent that D2 carriers will not work with the D4 because the D4 film stage has no carrier locating pins. I have a small machine shop and could put pins in the D4 stage but don't know if that is the best solution. What are the differences between the carriers and their locating features? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,
    henrylr

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a D3 and used D5s, at least the ones I used have or had the pins. I thought all Ds used the same carriers. The differance between the Auto focus and non auto are in the lens cones, autofoucs have a differnt shape and size and have the slot for the auto focus rail.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You found the difference in the enlargers for the negative carrier.
    Supposedly it was so you could rotate the carrier, and thus image, so you did not have to rotate the easel.

The D5 carrier has another panel screwed to the bottom plate. This panel will sit inside the round cutout on the negative stage to align the carrier. You would have to put at least 3 equally spaced pins on the bottom of the lower carrier to center the carrier in the hole. The trick will be locating where to put the pins.

If you don't care about being able to rotate the carrier, then put the pins into the negative stage of the D4.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin