Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,682   Posts: 1,548,527   Online: 865

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    SDS is a well known and reliable seller of second hand and new darkroom equipment and supplies in the U.K., they have been established for many years and have a very good reputation as one of the biggest seller of new/used darkroom equipment, in the U.K., so I would tend to thin k that the R.H equipment is in safe hands for the forseable future.
    Richard

Shooter
    35mm
    I totally endorse what Richard Gould has said about SDS. It is in analogue for the long term and has sold RH Designs products for a good number of years. There would have been little point in taking over RHDesigns if it didn't intend to be in the analogue business.

I think you should have no concerns in dealing with them. Just expect to pay more for the stuff for reasons already mentioned.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Excellent to hear, thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I can assure you all that if I thought for a moment SDS were not going to be able to keep RH products on the market and support them reliably I wouldn't have let them take them on . Thanks all for your good wishes!
    Regards,
    Richard.

RH Designs - My Photography

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It is unfortunate that the prices have risen, but that's likely not something we can control. Face it, we're spoiled. Prices for used timers (and almost everything else) on the market are fairly cheap; but have you priced, say, Gralab timers new? How about the MSRP on that enlarging lens you got for $50? Considering what RH timers will do over another timer, the price difference - new to new - is not that startling. It's just that there aren't many used RH on the market. Try pricing out everything in your darkroom at new prices, and the timers won't seem so bad.

I love my Stopclock Pro. "F/stop" timing was a revelation. I know one can do it with any timer, or a metronome even, and charts, but the Stopclock and its ilk just make it easier. It has been more than worth it to me!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I guess the best testament to these timers, is that they are rarely seen up for sale as used items. Seems everyone that buys one, loves it so much, they can't bear to part with it. Great news for Richard & RH Designs, but not so much for those hoping to save a little money.

I'd dearly like to purchase one, just need to get some $$$ together. (One thing I did note with the SDS order site, was that if I enter Australia as the country they need to ship to, I still get charged VAT. Hopefully that will be updated by the time I have the funds to purchase.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well it's a good thing I already own a Vario, because my emails to the new supplier for a Stopclock and sundries have gone unanswered and Silverprint is not honoring the price I ordered the Stopclock at, claim it is not in stock and still list other items at the old price.

I can not even figure out what shipping would be for a Stopclock from SDS.

I miss dealing with Richard already....what a mess...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Apologies that Silverprint is unable to help on this one. If it were in stock we would have done our best... however it's a massive price increase of which we weren't informed by the new distributors.

After many years trading with Richard all our best wishes to him for a well earned retirement... and I'm sure all who are using his products concur!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I also placed an order for a Stopclock Pro with Silverprint. They responded very quickly with an explanation that they were out of stock and the reason for the price increase. My only previous experience with Silverprint was ordering a copy of Tim Rudman's toning book--and it was shipped out immediately. I wouldn't hesitate to order from them again and note that their shipping charge for the Stopclock Pro to the US is very reasonable.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I understand Martin and appreciate it.

Last year I had a Metrolux-II compensating timer with my D2-HI cold light head. As anyone knows, they are no longer made so I contacted Richard about his products because I want to start teaching workshops in the next 18-24 months and wanted to standardize to a more up to date and still manufactured system, RH Designs looked perfect for that and still is. But with these increases, I might have to use regular timers on the 3rd and 4th enlarger stations. I can offer more advanced classes on two enlargers including one setup for murals so two Stopclocks will have to do...

I heard from Paul at SDS this morning and he gave good and logical explanation for the company's plans for the RH Designs which echoes what Richard has stated in other posts.

In some ways, a price hike would be expected even if Richard were still making them so it is what it is and in the long run, like film, I would rather have a higher priced StopClock than none at all.

I put my order in...ouch up front, profit from print sales later...
    Last edited by PKM-25; 03-11-2013 at 01:54 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin