Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,960   Posts: 1,523,097   Online: 998

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Large Format
    A red 25 screw on filter works fine if it can be sized. a 55 mm fit my omega fine.
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ac12 View Post
    It might, as long as I could grind it to drop into the round holder.
    The Cokin filters are made of a plastic (as I believe are the Lee), so cutting a round should be fairly easy even with basic hand tools.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bill the guy at the photo shop checked and a 67mm filter will sit in the holder.
    A new 67mm filter would be about $40, so he recommended either a used 67mm red or look for something more reasonable in price.

I googled "rubylith" since I heard about it. But it turns out that is a film, not a hard piece of plastic. So it would be tricky to put into the filter holder w/o something to hold it from sagging.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I googled "rubylith" since I heard about it. But it turns out that is a film, not a hard piece of plastic. So it would be tricky to put into the filter holder w/o something to hold it from sagging.
    Just for the record, Rubylith has a slightly frosted finish to it, so it would be a bad candidate for transmission filtering.

Here's an off-the-wall idea, though. How about getting one of these sampler filter booklets for free (plus $7.50 s&h)?

Rosco Swatchbooks

Then have a glass shop cut you a small piece from scrap and attach the correct filter to it. Either with black tape around the edges, or a lightly-applied clear spray adhesive.

Ken
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It is for a Durst L1000.

The Kodak color printing filter looks like it might work, but I don't need a piece that big.
    I'm also being cheap on this repair since it is not a "have to fix" problem.
    I can't believe no one pointed this out. The red filter for a camera is not necessarily the same as a safelight filter for an enlarger. The internet is littered with posts from people who tried to kluge a safelight from some red material. You need to get something that is specifically made for safelights. The Kodak filter in the earlier link is for COLOR printing. It does not say it is for a safelight for B&W printing. Also the picture says it is for illustrative purposes only. The shade of red may be quite different.

As others have said I don't know what the purpose is for those filters. If you look at Kodak's safelight instructions they clearly say direct lightl should be at least four feet away from the paper. A lot of us go through great pains to skip direct lighting all together and have a mostly indirect lighting setup. And when when do pull paper out for the final print we use our bodies to shield it from even the indirect light bouncing off the ceiling or whatever. Why anyone would want to stick a piece of paper directly under a safe light at a ridiculously close distance is beyond me. Maybe if you are printing without an easel and want to lay the paper in the right spot.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin