Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,686   Online: 923

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Red and orenge filters

My enlarger came with a red nd an orenge filter.

I have being using colour filters on my lens to shoot with black and with film. But I don't know yet the effect of theses felterd on the enlarge lens to print black and white. What they realy do?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    They, depending on the paper you are using, allow you to center or compose the image on the photopaper without exposing the paper -- basically safelights for your enlarger.

Most photo paper is not sensitive to amber/orange light. Some other material such as litho film and some photo paper is not sensitive to red light.

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Cool.
    Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Speaking of the under lens filter...
    Does anyone know of a source of the red plastic filter material?
    The filter for my enlarger is missing the red filter element and I would like to replace it, if possible.
    All I need is a piece probably less than 3 inches square.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ac12 View Post
    Speaking of the under lens filter...
    The filter for my enlarger is missing the red filter element and I would like to replace it, if possible.
    Depends on your enlarger type.

See here for a few possibilites.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It is for a Durst L1000.

The Kodak color printing filter looks like it might work, but I don't need a piece that big.
    I'm also being cheap on this repair since it is not a "have to fix" problem.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ac12 View Post
    Would a Cokin or Lee red filtr do the job ?
    Failing that, contact Edmund Optics and see if they have a standard product line to offer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In all my years of printing, I've never used the red filters attached to many enlargers. I never quite saw the point.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Paul
    It might, as long as I could grind it to drop into the round holder.

Jim
    I don't use the red filter much on my other enlarger. But once in a while I have, so I figure why not get it repaired.
    But because it is not something that I use often, it is low priority = cheap fix.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
    In all my years of printing, I've never used the red filters attached to many enlargers. I never quite saw the point.
    They might come in handy for exposing more than one neg onto a piece of paper and one only has one enlarger. Or perhaps rechecking focus during exposure/burning. But they are a low-priority item for most people.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin