Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,522   Posts: 1,572,251   Online: 767

Shooter
    35mm

GraLab question...

Please take a moment to clarify the features of the GraLab 300 timer--recent eBay purchase...

Specifically, the upper left hand corner switch reads (clockwise from nine o'clock) "time, timer/at zero, focus, timer/running." Also, and in the interest of avoiding improper setting and use of the timer's two hands, please provide a use scenario there as well.

thank you APUG pros!

Dean

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a.gralab.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	9.0 KB 
ID:	65693
    Last edited by Dean Taylor; 03-14-2013 at 12:19 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dean:

There are a bunch of different versions of the Gralab 300, with very slightly different labelling for the switches, so at best I'll just run through how I use mine.

There are two power outlets on the timer. One is labelled "Enlarger" and the other is labelled "Safelight".

The idea is that when the enlarger is on, the safelight will be off. When the enlarger is off, the safelight will be on.

The idea is that when the switch is to the right, the timing function will work. When the switch is to the left, the focus function will work - i.e. the enlarger will stay on until you switch it off.

You start and stop the timer using the switch at the top left. You have to set the hands first, of course, to the time you want.

I use my timer for process control only, so the focus function doesn't get used much.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format

GraLab question...

Matt has got it all down. I have one too but I just let it run continuously when printing so I know when to move prints. I have used it for enlarging in the past, but for precise work you would want a digital enlarger timer that allows for fractions of a second. You also want to set it to focus or off when setting the time, as you can potentially damage the gears inside if you turn back the hands when it is running forward. When you get it, make sure it zeros out correctly, with both minute and second hands coming to a rest at 12. If they are not you have to adjust it, very easy to do, an Allen key/hex wrench under the second hand, and a Philips head under the minute. (atleast those are the types on mine)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin