Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,328   Posts: 1,537,148   Online: 866

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF

Adding An Extra Magenta Filter

Hello to all,
    Does anyone have comments or suggestions about adding an extra magenta dichronic filter to a Super Chromega housing?
    I can't get really high contrast with the current magenta alone and would like to replace the cyan filter with a magenta filter. I'm assuming that the values will add when both filters are used. Using a dial is easier than inserting filters under the lens. I know that I'll lose some flexibility without the cyan but this seemed to be the best solution.
    Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If your head is a D or DII you can fit a 6x6 filter in the bottom of the 4x5 mixing box. The lips under the diffuser are spaced perfectly. You can slide the filter in with the mixing box in place, and pull it out partway to remove. Not as elegant as dialing but cheap to try.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    for printing black and white you don't use cyan, so it shouldn't be a big loss. Color , a different story,
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    no the values will not add up.

If you get 200 Magenta with your enlarger one filter is it , adding extra filter will not get you 400 magenta and extra contrast.
    You will just increase your exposure time, and quite dramatically as every 30 filter increase in the Magenta will reguire you an extra stop of exposure on your print.
    so I would not even consider this.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by ragnar58 View Post
    Hello to all,
    Does anyone have comments or suggestions about adding an extra magenta dichronic filter to a Super Chromega housing?
    I can't get really high contrast with the current magenta alone and would like to replace the cyan filter with a magenta filter. I'm assuming that the values will add when both filters are used. Using a dial is easier than inserting filters under the lens. I know that I'll lose some flexibility without the cyan but this seemed to be the best solution.
    Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So is 200 magenta equal to a grade 5 MG filter or....? I have never really compared them on my 45S head and seem to get plenty of contrast from the color head, but now I am curious...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Check to see if the magenta dichroic filter needs cleaning.

Also check that the cyan filter isn't stuck in the light path.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Its the most contrast a diffusion enlarger can deliver without purchasing specific filters which is beyond the $$$scope of most darkroom workers.
    I consider it around a 4 1/2 to 5 for my workflow and do get a great DMax.

Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    So is 200 magenta equal to a grade 5 MG filter or....? I have never really compared them on my 45S head and seem to get plenty of contrast from the color head, but now I am curious...

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Very good point.

Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Check to see if the magenta dichroic filter needs cleaning.

Also check that the cyan filter isn't stuck in the light path.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The fact remains that you cannot get any higher grade than the "hard" emulsion layer is capable of delivering. So past this point no increase in magenta filtration will have any effect other than making exposure times longer.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    ... also, adding another filter of the same exact color will not gain you anything. The strongest filter (assuming one is stronger than the other) will prevail and the other will do exactly nothing, except to increase your exposure time a little (not as much as Bob suggests above though, since you are filtering already filtered light and the transmission will be close to 100% minus the neutral density characteristics of the filter).

If you need more contrast for a particular negative, try the following:

Try a different paper (I've heard that Fomabrom Variant 111 is more contrasty than other VC papers)
    Use the MG grade 5 filter (it may be more contrasty than the magenta in your color head by a bit)
    Use a stronger/more contrasty print developer
    Bleach back the whites after printing a bit darker

If this is a recurrent problem then:

Develop more to start with
    Check your magenta filter to see if it has faded; replacing it with a new/good used filter may help

Best,

Doremus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin