Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,817   Online: 978

Shooter
    35mm

Densitometer for X-Ray , can it be used ?

Can an X-Ray film densitometer be used also to measure density for Photographic Film ? even though it was not specifically design for photography. My educated guess says NO , but I dont know how different is X-Ray film from photo film in terms of measuring density. my Purpose: I am looking for a cheap densitometer that will allow me to learn, test and play with the Zone System .

thanks in advance,

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Can't see why not. Isn't a transmission densitometer measures much light is transmitted through a medium on a logarithmic scale?
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Should work fine - unless it is one of those fancy ones that reads a whole sensitometer test strip at once.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Yes. I have two densitometers. A Macbeth and RH design. Both work fine on xray. I use the Macbeth because it has colour channels so that I can accurately read xray negs that have been developed in pyrocat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Perhaps you are asking about X-ray film Sensitometers (that have green or blue LEDs in them)?
    The answer is yes, ok to use with panchromatic film for most control-strip tasks. http://www.apug.org/forums/forum43/1...-shootout.html

Shooter
    35mm
    Never mind, that one I was looking at on eBay is gone. Sorry to ask for a different one. I have no budget whatsoever for this but I'd like to be able to play with the zone system per A. Adams
    will this one work. ? seems very cheap , hope nobody snatches if it really is good.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dottie-II-tr...item2ec6ff6150

thank guys.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you post the Ebay listing on APUG, you might have it snatched out from under you
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin