Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,910   Posts: 1,556,190   Online: 1033

Thread: Cold water wash

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Cold water wash

OK. Right now the only convient place for me to wash prints only has cold water access where the water is running at around 49°F. Will there be any side effects with washing this cold? Will I have to modify the times or something like that?
    Gear: Camera, Brain, Light.
    Website - FB

Shooter
    35mm

longer wash time

test at Kodak and Ilford have concluded that the quickest...most efficient... wash water temperature for prints is 80ºF. Lower temperature means longer washes. The time required to get a thorough wash is determined by the fixer used and the fixing time etc. Hypo clearing agent substantially reduces washing time. The cheapest way to make a hypo clearing agent is to use a 2% sodium sulfite solution...20 grams of sodium sulphite to a liter of water. A very good source of sodium sulfite at prices much lower than the photo chemical suppliers is The chemistry Store (wwww.thechemistrystore.com). This is also a good place to by things like glycol and TEA etc. As an aside one of the best places for fixers and developing agents is techcheminc...(www.techcheminc.com.) very nice people with very much cheaper prices , although less items being stocked, than Photographer's Formulary.

So "How much longer do you wash your prints". Buy a wash test from Photographer's Formulary. It is easily used with clear instructions and is the only way to answer with accuracy the completeness of your wash.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Well. I'm using TF-4 fixer, so I don't use any hypo, since at least by their instructions, it isn't required with that formula.
    Gear: Camera, Brain, Light.
    Website - FB

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Claire,

Thanks for the idea. I need a little more help though please. I went to Photographer's Formulary, then store, and searched on “wash test”. Nothing came up. I think I need a more exact name.

There is a Fixer test, but that as you know determines if your fixer bath is warn out.

Thanks,

John Powers

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    try hypo test

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    That does it. Thanks.

John

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sjixxxy
    Well. I'm using TF-4 fixer, so I don't use any hypo, since at least by their instructions, it isn't required with that formula.

I use TF-4 fixer, as you do. 49F is a bit cold and I would be concerned with improper washing or washing times that are much too long. I don't like to keep my film or prints in water any longer than I absolutely have to - this applies especially to fiber-base prints.

If at all possible for you, I would recommend water temperateures above 70F.
    Jack Rosa

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Have you tried using a hypo clearing bath such as Tetenal Lavaquick or Ilford gallerie wash aid. I use a Nova five slot archival washer connected to the baths cold water tap within inline Paterson water filter. I wash my prints for around ten minutes followed by a hypo clearing bath for the recommended time. Then its back into the washer for a period defined by how quick i am printing. As an amateur i am not banging out prints at a rapid rate of knots so they tend to be in the washer at least an hour before they are removed. I have yet to have any problems either when it comes to toning or over any long period of time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874
    I need a little more help though please. I went to Photographer's Formulary, then store, and searched on “wash test”. Nothing came up. I think I need a more exact name.
    It is specified in old ANSI standard and is commonly referred to as silver nitrate test for residual fixer. Formula is published and it's simple to mix. (Note: Use deionized water when mixing silver nitrate and keep the solution in dark when not in use.)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin