Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,762   Posts: 1,516,133   Online: 842

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Value of yet-unseen darkroom equipment

Hello all,

I am going to meet someone today regarding the purchase of some darkroom equipment. I haven't seen it yet, but I don't want to go in without having a ball-park idea about what it may be worth in today's market.

She claims to have:

"an Omega Type D II enlarger and what appear to be several lenses for it, a large (heavy) double roller, a Graflex camera (not in great condition), some heavy stainless trays, a safety light, and other miscellaneous stuff."

Could anyone advise me on what the enlarger, the lenses, and the roller may be worth? I am probably not interested in a camera in poor condition.

Thanks in advance!

- rwreich

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The value is what the market wants to pay for it, and today not that many seek darkroom equipment, but if there is something rare prices can go through the roof

Omega Type D II in good condition, i would not say more then $250,
    lenses for Omegan: totally depend on what it is... if they are clean and good working condition $50 - $200
    double roller: $20
    Graflex camera: depend on what camera it is, try to find out which model it is an look it up on http://www.keh.com
    Misc stuff: $100

Hope that helps a tiny bit

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It also depends on how bad you want it, how often other equipment pops up for sale, your negotiating skills. If you don't it need right away, you are in a better position to offer less. In today's market, less than $100 for all. JMHO Good Luck
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I bought my complete and clean Omega DII with variable condenser and one lens for $40. I bought my D2 with fixed condenser with lots of parts and no lens for FREE! The latter needed lots of work.

All of my lenses are EL-Nikkor 6 element type in GREAT condition. I paid anywhere from 40 to 60 dollars each. Several 4 element types were given to me free.

Remember THIS when you make an offer.... Right now and for forseeable future, supply greatly exceeds demands overall. Many get simply thrown away. An only problem is, supply doesn't always happen where needs exist. (meaning it's often not conveniently located) That also mean, there is very likely hood, you are the only interested party for her....

Assuming you have D2 with ALL parts and few GREAT lenses, I'd start with $100 (which is a fair value) and go up to $150 only very absolutely necessary.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the information... I am very hopeful that this could work out in my favor, but I also don't want to take advantage of the situation. I'm prepared to pay about $170.00 in cash if everything looks good. Now, I am realizing that this is not unreasonable.

Thanks again!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Make sure to get the particulars of the Graflex. There are folks out there (myself included) who will pay reasonable prices for a Graflex even in rough condition.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=rwreich;1482144]Thanks for the information... I am very hopeful that this could work out in my favor, but I also don't want to take advantage of the situation. I'm prepared to pay about $170.00 in cash if everything looks good./QUOTE]

If you pay $170 for an Omega D2 and some extras, you've overpaid by about $100. Even in good condition, nobody is buying them. If you don't take it off their hands, there probably won't be another buyer. I've seen complete darkrooms go for $150. Lots of free stuff on Craigslist as well.
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Shooter
    35mm
    True, Parker - After viewing the enlarger and extras, I decided that it really wasn't worth the work it would have taken to bring it up to speed. I took some pictures of the stuff, but it was pretty grungy and the bellows were in tatters. I'm confidant that I'll find a better deal...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    a few years ago I bought 5 omega d-2's for $225, yeah FIVE. dime/dozen now
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The value typically is in the lenses (if they are good, modern lenses) and negative carriers. And - even beyond the lack of demand for darkroom gear - sellers overestimate the value of an enlarger that is dirty and stored unused in a damp basement for years.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin